Wednesday, November 12, 2014

So Cold

We are experiencing unusually cold weather right now, like a large portion of the United States. Benny got worked last night but I just wasn't feeling it tonight. Fighting the cold weather sucks the life right out of me! Instead I'm cuddled up by the wood stove shopping for horse blankets and researching hives...both of these being for my baby girl. Emi doesn't have her full winter coat yet and she seems like she's cold. Additionally her hives are worse tonight. 

When I first saw her I thought they had spread over most of her body. After I got my hands on her I realized her coat is just full of static and so parts of it are sticking up and parts are flat. Phew. However, her face has more bumps on it tonight than it did last night or this morning. A friend brought up bedding being a possible source so I pulled out their bedding pellets. I've stopped the smartgut ultra, the turn out, and now the bedding. She's getting the same grain she has been on (same bag even), the same hay etc. Hopefully I can pinpoint the cause and they will go away as quickly as they came on.  

9 comments:

  1. Ohhhh blanket shopping!!

    Hopefully you can get the hives figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with the hives! and retail therapy is the best known way to ward off the cold ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor girl, hopefully the hives get sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They had improved this morning, so maybe it really is the bedding.

      Delete
  4. My welsh D, Ginger, gets hives now and then as well, but the things I know are a problem (insects, cedar) aren't likely to help you. Hope Emi is feeling better soon (Also we`re freezing here too - it`s not supposed to get this cold here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frustrating for sure because there isn't an easy answer.

      Delete
  5. Eek fingers crossed it's the bedding! At least that would be a (sort of) easy fix. Poor girl. I caved and got Chrome a blanket this year too. He just seemed so miserable last year when it rained, so this year he will be more comfortable. :) I have trouble getting motivated when it's cold too! Ugh!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!