Thursday, November 6, 2014

Tail Care

 I've never really owned a horse with a good tail until I got Emi. Roz has a fairly wimpy tail and it's always been pretty easy to take care of. I normally attempt to keep it clean and use Cowboy Magic or Equiss Survivor Detangler once a week or so. A quarter size dollop of that, work it in to the tail, comb it out and it looks just fine. Benny has a very similar tail to Roz so his is easy too.

Emi on the other hand should have a beautiful tail once it finishes growing. It's long and thick and totally overwhelming! It's usually dirty and it drives me crazy. So...I want to hear all about your tail care routine.  Does your horse have a thick tail? What products do you like? Do you keep the tail braided? Tail bagged? Leave it alone?
Roz
Emi

Benny




11 comments:

  1. Gina has a super luxurious tail- she came that way, so I just try to maintain it! I have had a LOT of success with the Lucky Braids line of products. I use the shampoo on her tail (and the rest of her) and finger comb it when it's wet. After it's dry, I just brush it out with a wide-toothed comb. I also brush it out every time I groom her.

    For serious knots I use Vetrolin detangler. It's worked really well for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look in to the Lucky Braids. I haven't used it before but I enjoyed poking around on their website!

      Delete
  2. Both my girls have crazy thick tails. Ginger's is only slightly wavy, so I just spray a bit of the Eqyss Avocado Mist in there and comb through once a week or so. Bridget's has the spiral curls and I use the liquid detangler stuff on that as needed. I've done the tail bag/braiding thing in the past but found it made them rub their tails so now I don't bother. Emi already has a gorgeous tail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Infusium 23 (people shampoo and conditioner) for tails!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a Cowboy Magic addict. It is such an amazing detangler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with Laura. Their conditioner is the best!

      Delete
  5. I've always heard to leave them alone. Just use lots of detangler and your fingers to get the knots out. Chrome's tail looks really nice, but it's actually pretty thin and super easy to brush out. I brush it because I don't care how thick it is lol. It NEVER knots though so I don't brush it very often. :) His mane is what I have trouble growing out because of his sweet itch lol. Good luck! Her tail is gorgeous. After trying to detangle our Pecheron's tail I'm sort of enjoying Chrome's thin one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, wimpy tails are seriously a lot easier to keep combed out.

      Delete
  6. i mostly leave isabel's tail alone bc i'm super paranoid of damaging it (esp since she's not mine) - but use vetrolin shine spray prior to brushing to keep it knot-free and smooth

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!