Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Real Cost of Horse Ownership - Part 1

We all know that horses are expensive and they often surprise us with unexpected expenses. In light of Emi's recent hospital stay I thought it would be interesting to discuss vet bills. I have thankfully been spared having too many large vet bills but know that anytime you are dealing with a living thing the potential is always there. As you know, Emi was in the hospital for a week, receiving IV fluids, banamine and being monitored. Half of her stay was spent in isolation since they weren't sure what was causing her colitis. I wouldn't say she had a significant amount of testing but they did run 5 salmonella cultures, bloodwork 3-4 times, and 2 belly taps. What would you expect her vet bill to be?

10 comments:

  1. I was going with 1k including employee discount?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing between 3 and 4k?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going with $5k. Tristan's overnight - though it did include a surgery - was $3k.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $3500 give or take. My bill for Simon (who had similar things done in a MUCH shorter time) was a bit over $1k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes, i can't even begin to imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know DaVinci's overnight and procedure cost us nearly $2000 and a friends horse who coliced badly initial exam and tap was over $1000, so I would go with 4-5k.
    We had to keep asking for additional options to get the price to go down. The less time DaVinci spent at the clinic, the less the estimate was. I was just glad there was an option we could afford.
    Such hard decisions, glad you could give her that chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this with or without an employee discount? I'm guessing three or four thousand dollars without a discount?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!