Thursday, December 4, 2014

Real Cost of Horse Ownership - Part 2

You all had lots of good guesses on Emi's vet bill. As it turns out, her bill was about $2270 (with out a discount).  I was pleasantly surprised as the longer she stayed the more concerned I was about what her bill would end up being. Luckily most of her stay involved "supportive" care and she didn't require a lot of expensive procedures. It was mainly the stay itself, IV fluids, drugs and laboratory testing. A few people have asked if Emi is insured. Yes, but I only have mortality on her. That being said, her policy does cover $3000 toward colic surgery and $500 towards medical colic treatment. Before this event I knew I had $3000 towards colic surgery but I didn't realize her policy included the $500. I just sent the invoice to her insurance and will update you on how that works out. Between my employee discount and her insurance the part of her bill that I have to pay will be about $1300. That's not bad at all and I'm so thankful that not only did I not have a huge vet bill but I also got to take my healthy horse home. That was a wonderful feeling.


10 comments:

  1. relatively speaking, that's not bad. and of course - the healthy happy pony makes it all worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also super glad you got to take home a happy healthy horse :) totally priceless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that was less than I thought it would be. I hope the insurance helps you out on it. :) I'm so, so happy she is happy and healthy! That truly is the most important part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only conclude that all horse owners should work at major vet hospitals.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!