Monday, April 27, 2015

A Trail Pony

When I purchased Benny he had very minimal trail experience. I was able to take him on a little "trail ride" on some paths right around the barn before I bought him. He was good and I figured he was sensible enough that we should be fine. That's proving to be true from the limited rides I've taken him on. We have awesome forest trail access from our barn and try to get out relatively often. It's a lot harder to do during the winter with the rain and short days but my goal is once a week. The last 2 Mondays I've been able to go after work since the days are longer.

Benny was good last week and even better today. He seems to really enjoying being out and has a huge walk. Today he kept asking for a loose rein and he just looked around and marched along. When he's uncertain he'll back off but if you keep your leg on he'll pass by whatever has caught his eye. I'm looking forward to hauling him out to some different trails and getting more miles on him. He's really such a nice horse!


Our catching troubles have also improved. I had a fellow boarder ask me tonight what I had done with him since he is now coming over and almost begging to be caught. I didn't really have a magic answer but it's been about 3 weeks since our last game of chase. Lately he meets me at the gate or comes walking right across the pasture. I was impressed that someone else has noticed how much better he's doing. Benny shares a pasture her horse, and she said she gives him a treat, grabs his halter and gives him a pet before she catches her mare. I really appreciate the extra time she has taken to reinforce good behavior with him. Something is working and I'm super happy about that.

7 comments:

  1. He's such a cutie. Glad his personality is on par with his looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad he's doing well on the trails!! i really need to get out more often with my mare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely helps to get them out more consistently.

      Delete
  3. Sensible AND good looking? Sounds like a winner to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not looking forward to the catch me if you can game. Pippin can be a hard catch. We need to learn from you.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!