Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Never a Dull Moment

Warning - If you are squeamish you may not want to look at the below photos. 






When I got home from work last night I immediately went outside to turn Roz and Emi out. Emi has to wear her grazing muzzle right now because she is chubby and the grass if coming on like crazy. I turned them out and came back a little over an hour later. I caught Emi out in the field, taking her grazing muzzle off and just putting her halter on so we could do a little ground work. I took her up to the barn and did a couple of things on her left side and was preparing to move to her right side. All of the sudden she turned her whole head around to look at me and I saw that she had a cut above her right eye. I took a quick look at it before calling the vet. I had to run back to the house for my purse and keys, then we were off.

Emi weighed in at 900lbs! I can't believe she's that huge. She was 820 or something close to that when she was hospitalized in November. After getting her vitals she was sedated so that they could flush her eye and the wound. They palpated around her eye to make sure there weren't any noticeable fractures (in case she may have run into something or gotten kicked). Everything checked out okay. After examining both eyes they stained the right eye to check for injuries. There was no uptake of the stain so everything checked out fine.



Next it was time to get some sutures going. She got some additional sedation to keep her still, along with local blocks. The vet was really careful to get things lined back up well so hopefully she will heal with minimal (or less noticeable) scarring. She got an antibiotic injection and has to wear eye protection for the next two weeks (until the sutures come out).



This morning the injury looked good. It was not easy to apply the eye ointment as instructed but we'll keep working on it. We only have to do that for a week so I'm sure that will go by fast. I'm so glad that her eye itself was not involved and that it was caught with in an hour of happening. It's nights like last night that I'm thankful she loads and hauls well as it was no big deal to get her in there. It should heal quickly and hopefully we won't have any complications.

My pirate pony
How it looked this morning

26 comments:

  1. They did those stitches so nicely! I bet you won't be able to tell once it's healed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, poor baby! Eye area injuries are always scary - looks like they did a great job handling it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I think so and I'm really thankful her actual eye is unharmed.

      Delete
  3. Glad you caught it quickly! Is there a buckle on the grazing muzzle that could have caught her if she was rubbing on something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think it was the actual muzzle but most like the fence (it's woven wire).

      Delete
  4. Wow, she is really keeping you on your toes. Looks great with the stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your title and went NOOOOO. But, it could be worse! Poor girl looks really cute as a pirate though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez pony! That's quite a cut. I had a horse do something similar a few years back, glad it wasn't too serious though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emi!!!!! She decided it has been awhile since she gave you the colic scare and wanted to keep your adrenaline up. Im impressed with the stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like they did a great job stitching her up! I am sure that she will heal great!

    Dang 900 lbs!!! I wonder what Grayson weighs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh no, poor baby pony!! fingers crossed she heals up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scary!! Glad you caught it so soon and she's such a good patient. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agreed with Lauren, that's a nice stitching job! I am so glad you caught that quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It would have been terrible to find it after a whole day.

      Delete
  12. Oh my. I'm glad the prognosis is good. Eye injuries freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eeeeek! I'm so glad it wasn't any worse. Injuries near the eyes always make me extra nervous

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw about this on Facebook... so I was prepared for how gross it was.... sort of lol. I'm so glad she came through all of it fine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am slowly reading your blog (from start to finish) but I had to comment here. In my first week of owning Gambler he mysteriously cut his right eyelid. We had to call the vet put to the barn on Easter Sunday to stitch it up. Now you can't even tell that he ever cut it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!