Monday, September 28, 2015

So Easy

Saturday evening I pulled out a driving harness that Cindy loaned me. She had suggested I teach Emi to ground drive, which was part of my plan anyway. With the harness in hand I decided there was no time like the present to get started. There wasn't anyone home to assist me but I decided that it didn't matter since I didn't expect trouble. With the surcingle and crupper in place, Emi and I headed out to the pasture to give it a try.


We made our way haphazardly around the field. She had no idea what I wanted but she tried to give me the right answer.  Our steering needs some work as she would turn much sharper than what I was looking for. We'd end up weaving back and forth as she'd take my cue to mean that she should turn sharply, then I'd turn her back the other way and she'd do the same thing. We did smooth it out and by the end we were doing some loose figure eights around a couple of trees. She never once acted startled, anxious, or otherwise bothered by the proceedings. I kept the session short and after a couple of laps around the field, the figure eights, and some walk/halt/walk transitions we called it a night. I look forward to continuing this with her and I'm so impressed by her fantastic brain. 



While we were playing in the pasture, Emi's dad was at the Region 6 Championships winning the Grand Prix Freestyle with a 74.7% (his personal best). How cool is that!? My girl has great genes. 

13 comments:

  1. What a good girl! Ground driving is such a good idea with a baby (although she's really not a baby anymore!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When did she grow up!? I was just talking to a friend about me calling her a baby...it hardly applies anymore.

      Delete
  2. She says she is already a pro at all the things. And will be just as cool, if not cooler, than her dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how we are going to top her dad...we'll have to think about that one. :)

      Delete
  3. So exciting! I can't believe how fast she's grown up. Time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My harness breaker starts the newbies ground driving in a round yard, that way they learn curves, and no risk of them stepping over a line, once they can turn and move forward nicely in that smaller space then out into the big wide world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! She sounds like she took to it as well as Roscoe did. Some of her expressions even remind me of him when we worked with him. I can't wait to hitch him to the cart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cutie! The zigzag story reminded me of the first time I took my previous Dobie on a walk. She was all over the place, zeroing in on all the good smells. I'm sure Emi will "straighten out" (pun intended) in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cutie! The zigzag story reminded me of the first time I took my previous Dobie on a walk. She was all over the place, zeroing in on all the good smells. I'm sure Emi will "straighten out" (pun intended) in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a good girl!!!! She has beauty and brains! :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!