Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Learning & Winning Part 2

On to the "winning" part of learning and winning. After my open test (that scored a 55%) we had several hours before my next test. I volunteered for a couple of hours, got Benny braided, and then got ready to ride again. Our warm up went well and when it was our turn we headed in to the arena. By this time I had found out that I could actually ride him in to the competition arena rather than just around at the small space outside of the court (there wasn't room to go all the way round). I took advantage of a the couple of minutes I had, to ride him down the center line and past the judges table both directions.

They rang the bell and we were off. Benny had no further spooking issues and I was thrilled with our test. It wasn't perfect but I finally felt like we put together a test that was closer to the kind of work we can produce at home. Regardless of my score I was happy with the results. We earned a 68.269% and second place in the class. We received lots of 6.5's and 7's along with two 8's. One of the 8's was for our free walk (a coefficient) and the other was for the trot transition directly following it. Transitions are something we have been working on a lot and it's so nice that they have become very reliable. We got a 6.5 on both canter circles due to it needing a more clear rhythm. His canter is his weakest spot so I was actually happy with that. I know there is more room to improve but at the same time I'm happy with the progress we have made.



The second test of our division was the following morning. When I arrived at the warm up arena the show arena was on break and open for schooling. I took advantage of that opportunity to spend some time walking around, making sure the monsters were gone. As expected, Benny didn't give it another look.  Once we moved to the warm up arena we got to work and Benny was being quite good. My goals were to keep him forward and show good bend in our shallow loop serpentines.

Our test itself wasn't as consistent as the day before and we didn't nail our shallow loops as well as I would have liked.  The test had some very nice moments followed up some discussion between us. Our final score was a 66.363%, which was good enough to win the class. We received a 7.5 for the free walk and an 8 for a beautiful trot. I knew the "8" trot was going to be a great score while I was riding it.  I need to keep working for that trot in our every day work! Our weekend average was a 67.317%, which was good enough to win the individual portion of our Training 2 & 3 division.





Our team ended up with 2 champions and 2 reserve champions (in different divisions). The "team" portion of the show is calculated off of the average percentage of your team (with the lowest score being dropped.) My 67.317% was the lowest average on our team, so I was the dropped score....and our team won! We received medals for the team portion and we got a saddle pad for the individual win. I'm so proud of our team! We are just an average bunch of adult amateurs that work really hard to be good at riding. It was fun to see that work pay off in a concrete way.







This was going to be our last show of the year but now we have a new prospect...should we go to league championships!?

19 comments:

  1. So great! He looks beautiful with his champion ribbon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!!!! and yes def go to championships ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Go to Championships! Also, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is fabulous! Congratulations nad hell ya, go to Championships!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Benny looks adorable in his braids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the look of a braided horse.

      Delete
  6. Do the championships! You can do it! Also, I love the color and horse range your team has going on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? We realized after the fact that our team name should have had something to do with our creative colors.

      Delete
  7. We were going to show open at the League Championships, so go show for us! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you. I think we are going...I just had to warm up to the idea. Showing is a lot of work! :)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wooohoooo!! Congratulations girl!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!