Thursday, November 19, 2015

Tangible Progress

I had a good lesson on Benny Tuesday night and then a fantastic ride last night. He's a smart boy. The things that we had covered in our lesson on Tuesday were significantly better in our Wednesday ride. After a lot of canter work tonight I was cooling him out and thinking about how far we have come.

When your in the middle of something it can be difficult to step back and see where you started and how much ground you have actually covered. Benny's canter has been a major work in progress (and there is still a long way to go) but when I look back to where we started it's really incredible the improvements we have made. He is tight in the back, struggles with connection and tends to have a lateral canter. His default is to travel haunches in which seems to be training from his previous life. This time last year he would swap behind any time he got off balance. I struggled with this when I tried him and I really debated if I should take a chance on him.

Last night I picked up where we left off in our lesson bending him in, straight, out, straight, in, straight, out, then moving his haunches out for a few strides and then back to bending. As he loosened up I then asked him to stretch and he actually attempted it. That's not something he would have been able to do when I got him. During my lesson we were also working on the counter canter loops from first level. When I purchased him I didn't know if it would be possible to improve the canter as much as we have and yet I'm greedy and hope to see it improve even more as we add more pieces to the puzzle. Isn't dressage fun!?

Shortly after I bought him (possibly the night I brought him home)

7 comments:

  1. He is such a cute little horse. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he?! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice work! He really is a cutie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your enthusiasm for dressage has got me thinkin'. . . would undoubtedly help Knight's canter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is fun and rewarding. You should give it a try. :)

      Delete
  4. Your enthusiasm for dressage has got me thinkin'. . . would undoubtedly help Knight's canter.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!