Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Warm & Cozy

Once upon a time I used to ride Roz bareback....a lot. Not only does he have a comfortable, broad back but I also really trust him. We've been on numerous bareback trail rides and other little adventures around the various places where he has lived. 


One of the places that he lived I would climb up on their rail fence and stretch my leg out across his back. If I could get my foot about 1/2 way onto his back then he was close enough for my to jump on. He'd stand quietly until I hit his back and then he'd start walking...it was a dance that we had perfected and one we did well. 



No matter how long it has been, it's natural and so comfortable to me to climb up on his bare back. It feels like coming home.  I'm not sure when I stopped riding bareback but as I transitioned to some less trustworthy horses it didn't seem like such a fun option. 



Then tonight I climbed on Benny bareback for the first time since last winter. It took a few minutes to get used to the feel of him with out my saddle but it wasn't long before we were comfortably working around the arena. I've decide I need to ride bareback more often. I had forgotten how enjoyable it is and it's a great option on these cold nights. Do you like to ride bareback? If so, how often do you do it?

14 comments:

  1. I rode bareback most of the time on my first horse, but not much since then. I've come to believe that a well-fitting saddle is more comfortable for the horse, rather than having my weight concentrated on my two seat bones (Rick tells me they are quite pointy when I sit on his lap!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes! I didn't realize how much heat I was getting from him until I dismounted.

      Delete
  3. I was just thinking about this. A year ago I was without a saddle for four months, and I think I still have PTSD from that. Haven't ridden bareback since!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I could understand that. But wasn't it worth it!?

      Delete
  4. I ride bareback on Paige a lot for the same reasons. She's trustworthy and comfy. Also I'm lazy sometimes. I do think its good for my balance too. Nothing like slipping sideways loping hills bareback to help you remember how to balance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I ride bareback pretty often, mostly in the round pen because I had fallen off of my guy bareback and have a bit of PTSD when it comes to riding in the pastures or trails like that, but yesterday I took him out bareback in the trails and he did so great, I think I'll start doing it more again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've honestly never really loved riding bareback (tho agree that it has many many benefits).... but then again once it gets real cold i might try it out. or... maybe... if i simply can't resist the temptation to hop on while i'm still wearing this darn medical boot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to ride bareback a lot. The same as you, I stopped trusting the horses I was riding to do it much. I will still hop on bareback for a ride around the small arena, but I don't go out anywhere. I'd like to start doing more, so I'm easing into it with NSN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...it feels good to get back in to it!

      Delete
  8. LOVE riding bareback! Especially in the winter when it's cold. Sadly I don't feel safe riding Chrome bareback in the winter anymore after what happened last winter (he spooked, spun and I came off), so it's saddle for now. Once he has a LOT more experience I'll probably go back to riding bareback a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!