Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Ain't Doing Right

Roz has been ADR for the past 6 weeks or so. It all started near the beginning of December when I went out one morning and he was making weird faces (not sure how else to describe it). He wasn't actually grinding his teeth but it was sort of like that. He had been standing like that for long enough that his chin was wet with drool. He ate his breakfast when it was offered to him but I was concerned. I attempted to have someone come look at him but no one was available. I ran home mid morning to check on him and he seemed back to normal so I didn't pursue getting someone out to see him.

Since then I've been watching him closely and debating whether or not something is wrong with his teeth. He had them floated in May so it hasn't been overly long. He's eating pretty well, although occasionally he doesn't finish all of his grain.  If his mouth is fine them my second thought is that he is in some other kind of pain. I know he has arthritis and I wonder if that's really bothering him.

Another change I've noticed that he has been really cranky lately. He's fine with me but he's very short tempered with Emi. At first I thought maybe she has been pushing his buttons but the longer I watch the more I think that he's just flat out not happy with something (not necessarily her).
He says, "Do I look crabby to you?"
Then Saturday I noticed that his sheath is swollen. Hmm...now I'm wondering if he may have Cushings. His hair coat is normal but from what I've read behavior changes can be associated with Cushings. They also list increased thirst and urination with may be true as well. It's hard to say for sure since Emi is in with him too. At this point he has an appoint for February 1st. I'm really curious to see what we find. Getting old sucks!

Side note: yes, he has a lot of hair but that's normal for him.

13 comments:

  1. Cushing's can present in different ways for different horses! Dino was diagnosed at 12, which is really young, but he had weird symptoms and just wasn't right, so I got him tested. I'd be happy to chat with you about what Roz is experiencing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love too! My email is mcpartlina@gmail.com.

      Delete
  2. Getting old is the worst. I'd be a little suspicious of that neck too. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! He's always been cresty but looking back at the picture it may be worse than normal...

      Delete
  3. Come on, Roz; you're not THAT old, buddy! You can buck with the best of 'em and you're too cute to die! (Hope you get some answers soon!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Right?! It will be interesting to see what we find out.

      Delete
  4. Hope he's feeling happier soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He doesn't look that hairy, but he does have the cresty neck of cushings. I hope you figure out what it is so you can treat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has always had a crusty neck but you may be right that it is more crusty looking than usual.

      Delete
  6. Poor guy! I hope you found out something in the vet appointment and that it wasn't anything serious. My first thought is does he have a bean? My friend's horse was acting weird and had a swollen sheath like that. His was a huge bean.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!