Thursday, February 4, 2016

Horse Selling Part 1

You all know that my plan has been to sell Benny. He was officially listed last week and I have had a lot of interest in him. The first prospective buyers flew in from California today. Once they arrived we headed out to grab Benny....and I couldn't catch him!

I've had this problem before but put a breakaway halter on him last spring and haven't had an issue since, until today. Talk about horrible timing! I had told them that he could be hard to catch, although I thought I had the problem solved. Thankfully a fellow boarder was around and she assisted me in catching him.

Once caught we took him in to the barn to clean him up. They looked him over, asked some questions and I got him ready to ride. I put in a very brief ride on him before the trainer hopped on. She rode him really well and seemed to enjoy him. She let her client know that he was super safe. The buyer walked him around for a few minutes while a cell phone was retrieved so that we could take some video. Next she picked up the trot and off they went. Unfortunately she was not prepared for his big bouncy trot and was nervous about it. Although she rode him around for 10-15 minutes she struggled with riding him and in the end opted not to canter. She was bummed as he checks every box on her list (arab or half arab, trail experience, low level dressage, safe etc).

Before they went both the buyer and the trainer told me how much they liked him and what a lovely horse he was. They said that he was exactly how I had represented him and they really appreciated how honest I was. It was a good experience for all parties and nice to meet such up front normal horse buyers. I spoke with two more prospective people tonight and have one scheduled to try him on Sunday. The search for the perfect home continues!

18 comments:

  1. How great that the first buyers that came to see him were so... normal and nice! Glad the selling process is so far uneventful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being on the buyer side recently, Benny sounds like the type of horse we searched for. Very nice add and photo of you riding him. I am sure you will find the perfect home for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he's such a great horse and you've put so much good work into him, no surprise that he's drawn so much interest! fingers crossed all the rest of the prospective buyers are as normal as the first (and especially that one of them takes Benny home with them!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed that you find the perfect people! :) If I was closer I would be extremely tempted, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you'll find the right fit. He seems like a really kind horse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish he jumped. I'd come buy him tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be sad to see him go, but it's time for him to do the same for another rider!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fly him up to Canada for me!! hehehe.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!