Monday, February 1, 2016

Public Speaking

In November I was asked if I would consider speaking at a fundraiser lunch event for Project HER (a breast cancer support service in our area). At first I said heck no...but I kept thinking about and felt prompted to agree. I was very shy as a kid and hated public speaking. If you would have told me that at some point in my life I would have volunteered to be a speaker at any event I'd have said you were crazy!

Fast forward a few months and Saturday was the big day. I had 20-25 minutes to share the story of my breast cancer journey with a crowd of about 100 people. I wrote out my entire speech, in case I forgot everything once I got up there. I was nervous but it really wasn't too bad.

Not only did I tell the story of discovering my cancer, going through surgeries and treatment, but I told my story with Emi and where we are now. It was actually, dare I say...fun? I had the chance to talk to several people afterwards. One of them was the marketing director for the clinic that Project HER is based out of. She asked if I'd be willing to share my story at other events and I told her that I was willing. Before I left I had been told about 3 opportunities that they thought I'd be great for. Apparently I'm going to be getting some more public speaking practice!


8 comments:

  1. that's exciting! good for you for giving it a shot even despite the nerves!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for giving it a go! You really are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are a brave soul. In many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo awesome! God is using you to encourage others. It's a beautiful story indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo awesome! God is using you to encourage others. It's a beautiful story indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, inspiring - I will never be brave enough to do much public speaking, so I admire those that can! Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh I'm behind but this is amazing! You are inspiring<3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!