Tuesday, March 15, 2016

No Longer a Pet

Emi and I had our first lesson together tonight. The biggest take away is that she is no longer a pet but a working horse. I've let her be too cuddly/pushy and need to create new boundaries for her. We started out with her in the barn aisle testing her ground manners. Aside from being nosy and in your business she was quite good. KB could tell that I've done a lot of ground work with her and felt like she was well behaved.

After the initial assessment we went over to the arena for some lunging. Once over there, there was some extra excitement going on and Emi became very pushy. KB worked her for a bit before asking me to demonstrate her lunging. We've only "lunged" a handful of times but Emi will go out on the circle and walk and trot pretty easily. With that done KB took her back and spent some time lunging her. Emi was confused at times but kept trying and wasn't too sassy. Once finished KB commented that Emi is very smart and confident. For now my homework is to continue our ground work, expect her to keep her nose off of me and respect my space and to lunge 10-15 minutes at a time.


16 comments:

  1. It's a weird transition to go from a baby horse to a grown up horse (for horses and people!). Sounds like your girl is coming along well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby pony is at university <3 <3 <3 I FEEL SO OLD lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? How did almost 3 years go by that fast?

      Delete
  3. aw so exciting!! i hope Emi loves the new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I think she will once she understands what is expected of her.

      Delete
  4. Poor baby pony has to work for a living and not just get treats and pettings. I bet she's happy to work though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emi is smart! She will figure it out quick. It's so hard to stop thinking of them as babies. It took me forever to think of Chrome as all grown up. I think he was five. Now that he's almost seven I'm finally starting to think of him as fully grown (which is okay since that's the age the growth plates in the back finally harden). I'm guessing Emi is going to be just as easy to start as Chrome was. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! She's getting so big now!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!