Thursday, March 24, 2016

Satisfying

It's lovely to ride a well trained horse but there is nothing quite like bringing along a young or green horse. The progress comes more quickly and is so much easier to appreciate which is especially satisfying.

Emi and I had our second lesson tonight and she was super! I'm not counting on it....but if she continues to be this "easy" I'll be beyond thrilled. To start we re-addressed some of the in hand work we started with last time. Standing still with Emi keeping her nose to herself, walking quietly slightly behind me, stopping when I stop etc. She was doing this very nicely so KB asked if she would back up if I backed up. The answer to that was yes, along with yielding her forehand away from me with out me having to touch her. These are all things I have worked on with her before so they were easy to do.

Once finished checking in on those skills we moved on to lunging. I demonstrated what we have been doing and KB instructed me on some of my technique (or lack thereof). I'm curious how many of you feel like you have received a good foundation in ground work/lunging etc? It's something that I did not get much instruction on growing up but have learned more about over the past 10 years. KB is big on in hand work and I'm looking forward to learning a lot from her by starting Emi at the beginning.

Emi was much more relaxed than she was for our first lesson. I'm sure it helped that I handled her almost exclusively and that she had a better understanding of what we were doing. KB held her for me while I went to grab a lunge whip and commented that Emi was very connected to me as she carefully watched me come and go. That's not the first time I've noticed that or had someone comment. I've never owned a horse that was that attached and it's fun! She's not bad for other people but you can tell that I'm "hers."

We worked on a prompt response to my cues, spiraling in on the circle and then back out, and not pulling on me. She was not sweaty when we finished and hardly seemed out of breath. I think she's already becoming a little fit and definitely less stressed. Another positive experience has been logged.

Pre-lesson selfie
Why yes, this is me not treating Emi like a pet...haha.

23 comments:

  1. She sounds wonderful. I never had much training in groundwork either. I thought that lunging was what you did to let your horse burn off steam. Years ago I saw a local trainer do some round pen work and was not impressed. I know now that it was because his approach was to exhaust the horse into submission. I gained a lot more knowledge the last 3 years and now I'm a true believer. It has made all the difference with my mare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had much formal training in groundwork either but can definitely see the value. Emi sounds like she's doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm really looking forward to learning more.

      Delete
  3. :) She's going to stay that easy. Believe me.

    I also thought I knew how to lunge until I met my trainer. She had me hold the line like it was a rein, and use the whip as my seat/legs and the line as the reins, and everything that follows from those two things. It really changed the way I thought about lunging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what a previous coach taught me. Such a light bulb moment, like TeresaA, previously I had thought of longeing simply as a way to burn off steam. Emi is going to be a star, sounds like she already has a great foundation!

      Delete
    2. Oh, Jen...I hope you are right. I love it!!!

      Delete
  4. What a good girl. I really need to brush up on my lunging. I always thought I was in a good place with it but I have a hard time when Annie decides to be a baby doesn't always want to respect the circle. Hopefully this year we can brush up some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It definitely takes some skill. :)

      Delete
  5. I have no foundation in lunging or groundwork. I finally took one lesson last winter with my Trainer and it was INCREDIBLY helpful. I'd like to take more, but alas, there is only so much money to go around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When Nilla was at Laura's for training, I got some lessons on lunging correctly and it was really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lunging is such a great tool - good luck to you both

    ReplyDelete
  8. She sounds like such a sweetie! And I agree 100%, bringing up and training your own horse is way more rewarding!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun and awesome to already have a relationship so established with her.

      Delete
  9. I've never had formal education on longeing and groundwork either. I just learned by reading and watching videos, then do the best I can. You've done a fabulous job with Emi, so I have no doubt she will continue to be easy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Chrome is attached to me like Emi is to you. I think that's one of the benefits of raising them as babies. :D

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!