Saturday, April 2, 2016

Bit by Bit

Excuse the pun...but each week we've been adding to the work we are doing with Emi. Thursday night I lunged Emi with a surcingle. She's worn one a couple of times before but never doing more than just walking around. I sent her out on the circle and once I asked her to trot she leapt into the canter bucking/kicking her way around the circle. She was kicking her belly with both hind legs in an attempt to get it off. I stopped her after one circle and opted to tighten the surcingle a hole (thinking it might be tickling her). Once I did that and sent her back out she was completed fine. 

In our lesson on Friday we introduced the bit. She was a little distracted when I was lunging her as she was busy chomping on the bit. After about 10 minutes she stopped chomping and started to carry it around like a broke horse. Today I took her for a "trail walk" in which she wore her bit and saddle. She was super good about the bit today and only mouthed it a few times before being quiet with her mouth. We went on a lovely 4 mile walk...I can't wait until we can go on a 4 mile ride! 




19 comments:

  1. She is just so cute oml!! Yay for all the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emi looks great in her "grown-up horse" outfit. 4 mile rides are much easier than 4 mile handwalks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easier for me...I'm sure Emi won't think so. :)

      Delete
  3. You'll be riding her before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emi's a rockstar! Looking so grown up with her bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emi's a rockstar! Looking so grown up with her bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can hardly believe how quickly she is progressing! She looks SO grown up with the bridle and saddle on!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She looks so grown up!!! So cute! I love the second picture so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm caught up! Emi is doing so well. I am so excited for the day you ride her!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!