Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Glimpses

As Emi progress in her training I see glimpses of what I expect her to be like when she's all grown up...and I'm loving it! Tonight we attached an outside side rein (loosely) and then added the inside sliding lunge line. She had moments were she was put together a little bit and she's so darn cute! She handled the new pressure quite well. There were no explosions just a few times where she came against the bit and thought about stopping. With a little encouragement from me she popped back into the trot and continued on her way. She was easier to lunge both directions with the help of a stabilizing outside rein, so that was cool. She's also getting pretty good with bridling and un-bridling...you can tell she understands what that's all about.

The one thing I'm not loving about her is that she is still a nervous in the barn. I really notice it when the other horses are being brought in from the pasture and she's tied in her stall but I also see it when I'm tacking her up. She's pretty still when I'm right with her but if I walk away, even to grab a new brush right outside her stall, she dances around and seems anxious. It's not out of control by any means and I do leave her to do things, grab my saddle etc. I'd just like to see her a bit more settled. Generally as soon as I take her out and put her to work she's great and when I bring her back to the barn after working her she's really good. I'm going to try her on the supplement ExStress for a while. I know she's a kid and she's been at the barn less than 2 months so it's not unreasonable that she is not completely settled but since it has come highly recommended to me and I feel like it "can't hurt my help" it's worth a shot. I'm curious to see if I notice any change.


14 comments:

  1. Penn had that same nervousness in the barn. He just wouldn't fully settle. If ExStress doesn't work for you, try Quiessence. Penn is doing really well on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thank you for the suggestion.

      Delete
  2. I can't get over how cute she is. Glad you have her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is such a pretty girl. I can't wait until you get on her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My two both do not like it when I walk away and leave them alone. I feel like the cobs I've met have all been very aware of their surroundings and super people oriented. Curious to hear how the Ex-Stress works, I've been contemplating it for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fergie (Cob also!) was very unsettled in her stall at first but is much better now after 2 months at our place - same as you described though in the cross ties - she does not want me to walk away. I too have thought about adding a calming supplement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I'll report back when I've tried it.

      Delete
  6. I freaking love Emi. She is such a cool horse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw she is starting to look so grown up in all her tack!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry she's still nervous at the barn, but I'm glad her training is going so well. Is she still getting turn out? Could it be more from having extra energy, rather than nervousness? I hope the supplement helps. The purple looks great on her.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!