Thursday, April 7, 2016

Moving Right Along

We had lesson number four today and Miss Emi was super. I started out telling KB that I think the halter over her bridle is bumping on the bit and making her unhappy. I had grabbed a rope halter out of my tack locker and brought it out to see what KB thought. She felt like it was worth a shot so I quickly changed halter before we started lunging. I definitely noticed a difference and she seemed much happier.

We lunged both directions and Emi was very attentive. We started tracking left and she was quite good. When we moved to the right I commented that it's her harder direction. She tends to counter-bend and pulls more this direction. KB had me start lunging her almost as if she was on a square or hexagon. A few straight steps, turn, a few straight steps, turn. If you had been watching it most likely still looked like a circle but I could see her slowly find her balance.

As that improved we ended up doing a little bit of canter to the right. It wasn't great since she has hardly done it but she tried and didn't get crazy. KB asked me if I noticed that her gaits are getting better. I definitely have but I wasn't sure if it was my imagination or not. I thought I might be getting more used to her way of going versus that of Benny's. KB said it was definitely not my imagination and that she really is improving. I asked if she thought it was due to fitness and she agreed that it's fitness combined with better balance. (side note: she's not a bad mover but was moving more quickly and pony like) Another boarder was waiting for her lesson and commented that she has a really nice walk and uses her neck well. Ahh...a proud mom moment for sure. I'm so super pleased with how she's doing and commented that I really think I'm going to have a fancy pony on my hands, to which they both agreed.

KB feels like I'll be riding her soon and mentioned that she'd like to handle her more in my next couple of lessons so that Emi is comfortable with that. She feels like Emi may be more worried by having KB handle her from the ground than she is about me being on her back. I definitely think there's some truth to that...we are definitely tight. I appreciated the forethought and honestly it will be fun to be able to watch them work.

To finish out the lesson I stood on the mounting block and scratched Emi, patted the saddle, leaned on her and jumped up and down. She was fairly undisturbed by all of my antics. An unseasonal 80+ degree day combined with a longer work out than normal left her dripping with sweat so we finished out the evening with a nice hose down. Emi loves "beauty parlor" so I got no complaints from her as she stood cross tied in the wash rack.

Homework: continue lunging working on the "square" (especially to the right). Introduce cantering both directions. Continue to play at the mounting block.

Up Next: Introducing the side reins.
Oh so sweaty and already ready for a hair cut

14 comments:

  1. So happy she's doing so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you!! This has been a long time coming. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has and at the same time it seems to have gone by so fast.

      Delete
  3. Squeee! I'm still anxiously awaiting the day you get to hop aboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good point about needing her to be comfortable with KB handling her on the ground. That will come in handy during your first rides! You have a really good trainer it sounds like. :D Of course your super awesome pony makes things so easy hehe. I'm glad she's continuing to do well and seems to be enjoying her new grown up life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay glad she is doing so well and you together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad her training is going so well. Can't wait to see you on her. Couldn't she have a long mane as a Welsh? Or do you like the trimmed mane?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She could have a long mane but I don't like it. It's super thick and messy...although it's not like it's thin and tidy because it's short. Haha. Plus I want her to have regular button braids when I start showing her. :)

      Delete
  7. What a star student!! KB sounds like a great observer too - glad it's going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That lunging on a square exercise is so super valuable to my beasts, I can't believe I don't do this more often... thank you for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!