Sunday, April 24, 2016

Point Taken

I've been feeling slightly frustrated with Emi's nervousness in the barn the past few days. While driving out to the barn today I was thinking of all of the reasons why I should not be annoyed. She's just a kid, she hasn't been at the barn long, some day when she's 5 or 10 I'll look back and say "remember when." I know I need to not let it bother me and realize that she'll settle in at some point. I think it's almost worse that she's normally so good. It makes me expect her to be good about everything, which is obviously not realistic. All of this has me thinking that maybe her long term poop issues have had more to do with stress than actual digestive problems. When she was at home she didn't seem stressed but maybe she internalizes. She started ex-stress tonight so I'm really curious to see if I notice a difference. 

Back to today....when I arrived I pulled her out of the pasture and took her to her stall to start tacking her up. She pooped nervously but wasn't being too wiggly. Her pasture mate came into the barn while we were getting ready and after one whinny she settled in and was being good. Our lunging was uneventful (if you follow me on Instagram you'll see a couple of videos). We trotted over a pole, used the side reins and played at the mounting block.  She was also quite good being untacked, although that is pretty normal after she has been worked. 


I counted back to see how long she has been at NDF and it's been 6 weeks. Clearly I need to change my expectations and allow her to be a kid in a strange new world. This running app I'm using had this as the inspirational quote today "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." I think that message was meant for me today. 

10 comments:

  1. So true, especially working with the young ones. It is hard when they are good at nearly everything else. I find I have to remind myself that Roscoe is still maturing and give him time to grow, mentally and physically. My ArabX does the nervous pooping and has improved over the years, but it is who he is so we still have some when tacking. Emi looks great, I love watching her progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I haven't brought up any young horses, I know of a few friends who flip flop between having high expectations for their young horses and being able to appreciate their young horses. It is such a frustrating, yet rewarding thing to bring up a young horse. Patience is not one of my personal attributes, so I don't know I'd do well bringing up a baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. So true. It does require a lot of patience.

      Delete
  3. She's a good kid and you're on the right track. You guys are going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am curious to know if the ex-stress works. I hope she settles soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Young horses definitely require way more patients than older horses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true! Six weeks isn't that long. The theory about her poop is interesting... definitely a possibility. I hope the ex-stress really helps her.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!