Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Another Layer

We added another layer to Emi's training tonight. In case you are keeping tracking we started with:

  • Learning to lunge in a halter
  • Added the saddle
  • Added the bridle
  • Added cantering
  • Added the lunge line connected to the bridle
  • Added side reins
  • Added cantering in the side reins
  • Long lined

Our lesson for today (lesson #9) involved long lining Emi. We had touched on it last week and had long lined her for a few minutes but it was mainly lunging her off the inside line and letting her become accustomed to the outside line. Tonight we long lined for "real" with actual steering involved and using the outside rein for down transitions. I was first steering her in a diamond pattern but then started taking her straight down the rail. We also cantered on the long lines and that went well.  Emi responded calmly to the new layer and it was so fun. I loved it! KB commented that she could tell I had done it before...which is true. Almost 10 years ago I learned to long line with Rozzy Ridge. Yet another thing that good old boy taught me. 


I'm having a blast being able to start Emi myself and so far I'm glad I chose to do it this way.  It's been great for me to be able to do the training with weekly help and guidance by KB. I had gone back and forth in the almost three years that I've had her. Start her myself, send her away, start her myself, send her way. Sort of like "he loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, he loves me not." The tough decisions in life! I finally decided I'd start out doing it myself with weekly lessons and if things were not going well or I felt in over my head I'd find someone to send her to. If things continue to progress like they have I think we'll be in good shape for me to finish the job. 

7 comments:

  1. Such joy bringing a young one along :) Glad to see Emi is taking it all in stride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done! I am impressed with how well she's donig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about all of this stuff. I've never been involved in breaking a horse, so all the little stuff you do to prepare Emi is really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously though, she is adorable! I'm glad that she's being so good and that you are enjoying the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you're doing a fabulous job with her. I love reading your updates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She seems to be thriving in the program and taking each step with minimal fanfare. Pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do it! Emi is going to be easy because you've done such great prep work with her. 😃

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!