Monday, May 30, 2016

Exceeding Expectations

I've never started a horse before. I've had several thoroughbreds straight off the track. Although they may lack the training for what I want to do with them they are generally pretty broke. It's been fascinating to climb on to a truly unbroken horse and start teaching it about riding.

I put my third ride in on Emi on Sunday afternoon. We had a scoot/spook with in the first few minutes, while we were still not the lunge line. With the assistance of our ground person, April, we got stopped. We continued on like nothing happened and neither of us were worse for the wear. Later in our ride, when I was off the line, she spooked again but it was pretty much an in-place spook and it was totally legit as a dog came running around the open end of the arena right as we went by.

It's remarkable how quickly riding her is improving. I'm feeling more accustomed to her way of going and she's also quickly learning that the leg means something. I love how solid she already is, not overly sensitive or ticklish. I think she is going to develop into a lovely sport pony and can't wait to see the progress she will make over the next weeks and months.


Today we went for a trail walk that turned in to a bit of a trail ride. I didn't ride her too long but she was fabulous.  I was so proud of her. I put her in the ditch and mounted from the ground. She walked forward nicely and was generally well behaved. Our trail partners were having a bit of a meltdown so I ended up hopping off after about 1/2 a mile. Regardless I'm calling ride number 4 a success. 


18 comments:

  1. Omg!! she is progressing SO well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! There are already moments in that video where you can see how fancy she'll be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about your breaking and training process with Emi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving watching her progress, all the outings and work you have put in are paying off. For my education, how come you sit the trot? I have always risen only on babies, but I haven't successfully started one myself so I'm keen to know the reasons behind what you are doing with Emi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. My instructor is having me sit for now because she's so inconsistent. She's thrown off balance, I'm thrown off balance. It's quite a bit easier to just sit and she's super comfortable!

      Delete
  5. Yay!! I'm curious, why do you sit the trot? I was always told it's easier for them to learn to use their backs if you post. Is that not true? Of course your sitting trot is awesome, way better than mine, so it probably doesn't make a difference for you lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My instructor is having me sit for now because she's so inconsistent. She's thrown off balance, I'm thrown off balance. It's quite a bit easier to just sit and she's super comfortable!

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!