Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Plugging Along

In the riveting world of baby breaking, tonight was ride #5. Before I tell you about the ride, let me say that Emi has been quiet in her stall the past two days that I've tacked her up. She's has rested a hoof and chilled the whole time I'm getting her ready. This is a significant improvement and hopefully not just a fluke.

In terms of riding, Emi was a good girl and we worked more on turning and transitions. Who knew you could start perfecting transitions on ride number 5?! Realistically we are not perfecting them as much as installing good basics.Emi was stalling out every time we went from the trot to the walk. We did a few quick trot, walk, trot transitions before KB told me to be sure to swing my hips side to side going into the walk. Wouldn't you know the rest of the transitions that I rode that way I could feel myself ride her right into an active walk! That was really neat. We also worked on her going when asked and I used a dressage whip to tap her lightly for a prompt response. Of course there is a lot of praise each time a job is done right and our best trot/walk transition was the perfect note to end on.

One of my current favorite quotes is this:

A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but its persistence.  - Jim Watkins

Not only is that true in horse training, but it's true in life. We just have to keep doing the work and slowly but surely we will see progress.

13 comments:

  1. I love that quote!! Sounds like progress

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome!! When I first figured out that hip swing to ride down into the walk, it was like magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? Where has that been all of my life?

      Delete
  3. Woohoo! So happy you both are making such good progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quote, I need to remember that as I slowly progress with Roscoe. Glad she is settling down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching you guys progress! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It has been really fun.

      Delete
  6. Great quote. You must be very proud of that baby Emi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep up the great work with her! I'm glad you're having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!