Thursday, May 5, 2016

That Moment

I had one of those moments tonight. You know the kind...when you see something bad happening before your eyes and by the time you realize it there's nothing you can do but watch it unfold and hope it ends well.

I was lunging Emi lightly before our lesson when I had a clumsy moment with the lunge line, timed perfectly with Emi pulling on it. One moment I had her...the next I had nothing. She proceeded to canter (tensely) around our previous circle with the lunge line dragging along behind her. Of course she was also wearing side reins. I stood in the middle trying to be calm and also praying she wouldn't hurt herself. She cantered 10 or so laps before breaking to a trot and finally halting. I'd been talking calmly to her the whole time, "Emi whoa, Emi whoa, you're okay." Once she stopped I gathered up the lunge line, pulled the side reins and walked her for a few laps before putting the side reins back on and sending her back out on the circle. You could see she was worried for the first couple of laps but she quickly settled in and went back to work as if nothing happened.

This was about 2 minutes before the start of our lesson and she definitely had my heart racing. As it was our lesson was great. We added cantering with the side reins, which we hadn't done prior to her getting loose. I also long lined her for the last 5 or so minutes. We plan to focus on that for our lesson next Tuesday. Once again I'm so pleased with her good brain and very happy that horses are so forgiving. I felt horrible for scaring her but I'm glad everything turned out alright. She got a couple extra treats and was happily tucked in her stall when I left her for the night.

One of the best girls around

20 comments:

  1. I know those moments! Thankful it ended well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once while I was riding, a horse being lunged got loose and was dragging his line around the ring, around jumps. so scary! I made a quick dismount, and we all stayed calm, and he finally settled down and allowed himself to be caught. Glad Emi had the good sense to not panic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that happen and it's nerve wracking. On the plus side she gained confidence that things can happen but it's not a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good girl! Sounds like she is going to have a pretty sensible brain on her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes! glad nothing bad happened! and i agree with Lauren - that's a fairly promising reaction from such a young green horse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gold star for Emi. She sure is getting a fantastic start. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying...I felt very incompetent when I let that happen. Ugh!

      Delete
  7. Glad nothing bad happened, but that's good she didn't over-react!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy that she is all good and stayed so calm! She's going to have such a nice mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like this has happened to me more times than I care to admit, glad she was ok!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeek! So scary, but no harm, no foul <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. You both handled it really well! I'm glad she okay.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!