Monday, June 27, 2016

An Outing

Emi went on her first real trail ride on Sunday. We went out with our friends, Melissa and Scotty. I led Emi until we reached the forest where we ride. The way out to the actual forest has several spooky spots; a half dug up arena, a large metal chicken and cows. Emi was undisturbed by all of these things although I'm sure it didn't hurt that she's been led out there several times now.



Once in the forest I was looking for a good place to get on...I wanted to put her in a ditch so I didn't have to pull on her back so much. However, I didn't find a good place and just decide to hop on. Of course, I keep forgetting how short she is so she's quite easy to mount from the ground. Once I was on I asked to walk and off we went. She was really lazy. I think the combination of the heat, carrying me and hill work had her less than enthused.


She meandered quietly along for the entire ride. No spooking or undesirable behavior other than no real desire to go forward. I nagged her a bit and then realized that's going to become a bad habit. I made her trot a couple of times to get her motor going. Once out of the forest and on the flat ground she perked up a bit and rode nicely home past all of the "scary" things. Miss Em is on her way to being a great trail horse and I was quite pleased to have such a great ride #13! We have plans to haul out on the 4th and then that following Saturday for a poker ride. It should be great fun and perfect miles for a young horse.

16 comments:

  1. That is sooooo exciting! Also, loving all the pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good baby horse! You must be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the "energy conserving" crowd! ;-) I like Jane Savoie's training methods for these; and you're right: NO NAGGING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard not to nag...I'm going to need to work on that.

      Delete
  4. Looking good; I like the matching outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good! Love how levelheaded Ms Emi is turning out to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good baby! Let me know if you ever need company for a trail ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's do it. Maybe get someone on the calendar for August?

      Delete
  7. Gosh she's going so well!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!