Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Saddle Fitting

Miss Emi got a visit with the saddle fitter last weekend. I had tried every saddle in the barn on her and wasn't really happy with the fit. In the mean time I have been riding her in a close contact pessoa while looking forward to finding a dressage saddle. 


The evaluation started with tracings along with palpating her back to see if there was any soreness. She wasn't sore and the fitter remarked on her nice length of back and the fact that we shouldn't have trouble finding something to fit her.   

We took her over to the arena to start trying on saddles. The first saddle was the cheapest one and was an 18in seat. I wasn't sure how that would be but I didn't feel like it was too big. I ended up dropping my stirrups a hole because of how my leg fit on the knee roll. I mentioned to the saddle fitter that in the past I've gotten saddles in a larger seat size to accommodate my long legs. She agreed that I have a long femur and could see how I would have trouble with that. This saddle could have worked but the fact that I was already struggling with the knee roll did not instill a lot of confidence in me. 

The second saddle was (of course) more expensive but still used. We tried it on next and it also seems to fit well. I hopped on and immediately liked the feel. The seat is a 17in but it has a short external block. The saddle fitter said that it's a popular set up for those of us with long legs as it allows somewhere for your knee to go.  I ended up with the second saddle, a Custom Icon Flight, on trial and I'm looking forward to riding it a bit more before committing. 


17 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about the Customs! Hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it fits you well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh exciting! I hope you both love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the short, external blocks! They definitely give my knee somewhere to be, so I don't feel like I'm bringing my leg in front of the flap whenever I use it. So nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like it fits you beautifully! Hope it's a keeper. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be nice to ride in it a bit more before deciding.

      Delete
  6. Hope it works for you both! I was amazed at how much Roscoe changed and he definitely let me know when a saddle did not work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure she'll change a lot. Bonus of this saddle is that the front gullet it actually adjustable by the fitter so we can widen it for her as she grows.

      Delete
  7. It looks like a great fit for you! I hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From that first picture, I thought this was going to be a much longer story, but 2 saddles and done is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Righ!? Thee first horse in our group went through a bunch of saddles...I lost count!

      Delete
  9. Squee! I just can't get over that you are buying baby Emi her first saddle. Gosh, she has grown up SO FAST

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!