Monday, July 4, 2016

More Miles

One of my big goals with Emi for this summer is to do lots of trail riding. I feel like it's a good way to get her broke and also to keep things interesting for her. With that in mind we headed out for another trail ride on Saturday. Unlike last time, I mounted her at the barn rather than leading her out to the forest before getting on. Due to a crazy busy week for me she hadn't been ridden since our ride the previous Sunday. I wasn't sure if it was going to be a good idea to hop on her like that but I figured that worst case I could get off and walk.


There turned out to be no need to walk. She meandered away from the barn and out to the forest with out a problem. She was a little more forward than last time but was not interested (or very willing) to take the lead. Near the end or our trip out we did get out in front and she was doing pretty well with it. Then we turned for home and she led all the way home! When we got ready to cross over the road from the forest to the driveway there was a truck coming. She sat patiently by the side of the road and they slowed nicely down to go by us. Once they were passed I saw another truck coming so we waited for them. This was a FedEx truck who waved and went blasting by us...and Emi was unfazed. Not too shabby for a 3 year olds 3rd trail ride (and 14th ride total)!


Then today we hauled out to Chip Ross Park, about 20 minutes from NDF. When I went out to the pasture I immediately noticed that Emi's right hind leg was swollen. I suspect she banged it on something as I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I trotted her to be sure and she was sound. She loaded like a champ and was great once we arrived and I was tacking her up. 


Chip Ross is closer to town than the forest near the barn, so there is more traffic. I hadn't really even thought of that until Emi was nervous about the first jogger who went past us. We were out for close to two hours and ran in to several people jogging, walking, with kids, with dogs, and also some mountain bikes. I led Emi for the first 15-20 minutes before feeling like she was settled enough for me to comfortably get on. She was really quite good. Leary of the traffic but all she did was raise her head and crowd her trail buddy a little bit. We did also go off road into a shallow ditch once but it wasn't any big issue. We ran in to three groups of mountain bikes and she was actually the best with those. She trekked right along on the trail and seemed to enjoy herself. We even trotted up one big hill and she dug right in. 



By the time we finished our ride her leg was normal and tight. She again stood quietly at the trailer and loaded well for the trip home. This was our first time trailering out and riding somewhere new and I was super pleased with how good she was. 

Sweaty and tired

6 comments:

  1. She sounds like she handled her nerves really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can tell you put an excellent foundation on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has more to do with her brain than any training I have done! :)

      Delete
  3. I've never regretted taking the time to start mine with a ton of low key trail miles. It sounds like Emi is a superstar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are an amazing team; what a future you have ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!