Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Good and the Bad

The Good:

Emi and I had a lesson last night. I hadn't actually ridden her since the prior Monday, but I had worked her on the lunge line and long lines. We had planned for KB to do some work in hand, but when she forgot her equipment I quickly opted for a ride.

I mounted up and off we went. Already Emi is much more forward at the walk than she was before our trail riding adventures. Once we picked up a trot we immediately worked to establish a good forward trot, eventually hoping she'd decide to canter. I did get her trotting more forward but the canter was nowhere to be found. We switched directions to ask to the right and I got a couple of strides but not a real commitment. KB put us on the lunge line to assist with steering and forward. We cantered twice both directions. Her right lead canter is much better than the left lead, which is interesting because all of my other horses have had a harder time to the right.

She's getting easier to ride and is so much fun! We had one big spook, but nothing I couldn't handle and she came right back. We also had one other time where she went to scoot off and I told her no. In hind sight I think I should have let her go since it would have gotten her more forward and that's what I was after. I really need to keep that in mind....I doubt she's going to try to run away with me. Haha.

I do have a couple of short clips from our lesson if you are interested in seeing where we are at.


The Bad (that turned out good):

Roz was acting strange this morning. In fact, I was pretty sure he was colicing. He didn't eat all of his grain, was pawing, curling his lip, and stretching down like a dog. He repeated this several times in the 10 or so minutes I was watching him. The great thing about working at a vet hospital is that I can pretty much just load him up and take him to work. I ran inside to take a quick shower and hurried back out. Of course when I got back outside, 20-25 minutes later, he was out in the pasture grazing. I proceeded to watch him for over 30 minutes. He came back up to the barn, I took his heart rate (normal) and groomed him while he ate his hay and finished his grain. Since he wasn't doing anything I decided to leave him at home. I came back to check him on my lunch and he was still fine. As of tonight he's still fine so I'm hoping it was just some sort of freak thing.

As all good horse owners do, I was pretty sure this beautiful July day may be his last day on earth...possibly a little dramatic, but you never know what day will be the last. Give your ponies an extra hug tonight!

10 comments:

  1. What a good baby horse! Glad roz is okay too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who has tried to use the scoot for forward- it doesn't always work and the argument ends up being worse. :)
    The lesson sounds like it was very useful. I'm glad that Roz was okay as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see how that works for me.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad Roz is actually okay. It's so scary when your horse isn't acting right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Emi is doing so well, I hope Roz is ok :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eek, scary about Roz - glad it was a false alarm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't like those kind of things...

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!