Tuesday, August 16, 2016

A Memory and a Lesson Update

This morning my Facebook memories showed me a photo of yearling Emi after a bath. After I hosed her off tonight I couldn't resist getting a similar photo to compare. I think she has matured beautifully. 

We had a great lesson tonight after a couple of weeks off. KB commented that Emi seems to be understanding her job pretty well and I agree. She's getting much easier to get forward and she's beginning to understand that we are going to work when I shorten up my reins. 

She counterbends left when tracking right so we worked on that. Up until this point I've somewhat ignored it since she doesn't understand the same corrections you would use on a trained horse. KB had us work on a diamond figure and it made a huge difference. We actually got a little bit of connection from the exercise which was really fun. 

From there we moved on to the canter. KB is ready to see Emi commit a little more quickly to the canter so she got a little bit more tapping with the whip. She improved a lot over our lesson and was almost starting to volunteer the canter. I was thrilled how good she was. 

Believe it or not, I also sent in her first horse show entry in today. Realistically she's not ready but we've got to start somewhere. I had my eye on a show in mid-October but it turned out to be the same weekend as a work trip. Then this dressage schooling show popped up and I thought why not?! Ready or not...here we come!

Two hot and sweaty girls after a great lesson

4 comments:

  1. Her first under saddle show!! Hope it's a blast. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for first show. She certainly looks grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo, first show! She is a grown up horse now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, that comparison picture is PRECIOUS!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!