Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Four Years

It's nearly impossible to believe that four years have gone by since I wrote the post How Do You Eat an Elephant. I had a fantastic lesson on Emi last night and as I was finishing up with her I was talking with April and reminiscing about the fact that almost exactly 4 years prior I was crying with my friends regarding my diagnosis. Here I am 4 years later, happy and healthy, riding my dream pony and feeling so incredibly grateful.

Emi is a gift from God and a daily reminder that dreams do come true. 
There really aren't words to adequately describe the journey. When I look back on it, it feels like such a distant memory and yet I know that it seemed so big when I was going through it. The answer to how you eat an elephant is "one bite at a time." That is so true not only in health issues or horse training, but all areas of life. When you are going through a difficult time it can be so all consuming and you don't feel like you can find the light. As time goes on you keep taking bites, even when you aren't sure you can go on. As you trudge through you begin to see a glimmer and finally you are able to break out to the other side. Not only do you find the light but you discover that you've been stretched and you have grown.

On the other side, one month post chemo with my nephew
Cancer really changed my perspective on life. All of the sudden my life wasn't stretching out before me, but it actually had the possibility of ending all too quickly. That's such a sobering experience and it changes you. It re-defines so many things and re-prioritizes too.  I want to love people well and when my time on earth is done I don't want to have any regrets. Hug your loved ones and make the best of each and every precious day.

14 comments:

  1. <3 Beautiful! I'm so glad you ate that elephant.. bit by bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible 4 years. Great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had quite the journey - so nice to see you and Emi kicking butt and taking names!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Four years ago, wow. :-) So glad you're here to tell the tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! Doesn't it seem like yesterday?

      Delete
  5. Wow, four years. I'm so glad you ate that elephant and fought it and won. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's incredible! It's so good to see you up on Emi achieving all those dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so beautiful to read about your journey, with and without horses.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!