Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Consistency Counts

Emi has been off work since her beach trip last Monday....7 whole days off. I was gone all weekend and returned home late last night. Tuesday is our regularly scheduled lesson day so after work I trouped off to the barn to get ready. Bringing Emi in from the field she seemed fine but as soon as I tied her up I could tell she was not her normal self. She danced around her stall like she did the first couple of months she was at NDF. I got her groomed and tacked up with about 15 minutes to spare. I headed to the arena with my lunge line and side reins in hand.

It was a great plan as I put her out on the lunge line and she wanted to buck and run. She continued these antics for most of our lunging time. KB was already in the arena doing a lesson and offered to postpone if the pony didn't settle down. I agreed with that plan and we will resume our normal lessons next Tuesday. When I finished lunging I did some ground work with Emi and she was finally tuned in and being quite good. It's amazing how much consistency matters with a young horse. I normally work her 3-4 days a week. Many of those days are pretty light but the act of going out and doing "something" makes a huge difference. I didn't realize that she was hiding so much get up and go!
She looks so innocent...

15 comments:

  1. She looks much more "up" in that photo than she usually does, especially her eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how important just a few minutes of time can be with a young horse. Perhaps she's feeling fresh as the cooler weather is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing something, anything, is the best thing ever. Penn doesn't need to be worked every day, but he does need to work in the ring/go on a trail ride/have attention paid to him almost daily. It seems 5 days a week keeps all parties involved happy (and that includes the barn manager- she actually sent a bad report card home with him when he was off for a week with an abscess).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's true. It was a little unexpected since she's such a cool customer normally.

      Delete
  4. WUT the amazing Emi has slightly less perfect days? Lies! All lies. You don't get to take my illusions from me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? Her "perfect pony" image has been tarnished. LOL

      Delete
  5. Sassy girl! I love that color of purple on her though :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!