Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Testing...1 -2 - 3

Emi had her third lesson with JW today. She came out quite spicy, full of go and also some anxiety regarding the horses moving in and out of the arena. Despite that she was still rideable and we did some good work. 

After our Monday lesson
I really need to be on the ball about putting her to work and giving her a “project.” As soon as something is satisfactory then I need to move on to another project, returning to check on the previous ones as I go. It’s a continual testing, moving on and then re-addressing. 
She’s bulging through the outside here, she’s falling to the inside there, she’s trotting at a 7 when she should be a 5. Since she wants to be a 7 maybe we should explore a 3 or 4. These are the kind of things that need to be ever present in my mind as we work. Bottom line, I need to be better about really thinking during my rides to utilize our time for some good training. 

A very sweaty pony after her lesson on day #3
A couple of specific take aways from today. 
  • I need to work with her on standing better to be mounted. In the past couple of weeks that skill has gone downhill so it’s something we need to work on. 
  • Posting on the “wrong” diagonal into the canter really helps capture that outside hind and really assists in that transition. 
  • Using halt as a spot for the horse to relax can also be really helpful, especially if they are anxious. We had Emi stop a couple of times and she really took a breather during those moments. 
I’m excited to see that she’s looking (and feeling) a little less like a barely broke green horse and I’m seeing glimpses of what she’ll look like later on down the road. This has been a huge outing for her and she has handled it very well. Now it’s time to keep doing our work at home and step by step we are going to turn this pony into a dressage horse. 

P.S. I do have video from our lesson today and I'll share it once it has been uploaded. 

Hand grazing with this cutie pie!

10 comments:

  1. She's too cute. I love her in pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I bet it's fun for JW to get to play with a Cardi baby! Sounds like great progress for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think she enjoyed it. She referred to herself as Emi's "grandma" so that was cute!

      Delete
  3. So awesome! 2 of my absolute favorite JW exercises have been the trot number (I am now always thinking about what number I'm trotting at), and the wrong diagonal post into canter. That helped Tony's balance immensely. I'm riding my new guy with her in a couple weeks. Excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's super exciting! I can't wait to read about it.

      Delete
  4. Looking good! So excited to see what the future holds for you two. Also, you are not helping me resist the temptation to breed my mare to cardi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I sure do love my Cardi baby...I'd say do it! :)

      Delete
  5. She is so lovely! I have never been able to figure out the posting at canter thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm just posting into the canter, not actually in the canter (although I've heard of that too).

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!