Thursday, November 10, 2016

A Game

I came out with my A game this evening and so did Emi. I rode well, with a clear plan of what I wanted to accomplish and JW echoing in my head. Pick a project, win your project, change the subject. I raised my expectations a bit regarding some of the looking she has been doing and that was a good thing. I stayed very aware of my body position and how it was impacting some of our steering. It's amazing how much better that works when I use my body and not just my reins. Who would have thought!? 


I started introducing a baby version of the diamond canter exercise we did with Benny. It worked pretty well to the left but was hard to the right. She was a little slow when cantering to the right and did one hop that could have turned in to her little bucking business from the other night. This time I was ready and turned her nose in while giving her a kick, and that was the end of that. 

From start to finish our ride was under 25 minutes, which was perfect. When we got to a great spot I trotted her straight down to the "scary" corner, halted, dismounted and gave her a lump of sugar and lots of scratches. I'm trying to be very black and white with her, rewarding her often when she's doing the right thing. She's learning the spoken word "whoa" quite well and is totally happy to put on the brakes and stand for a 30 seconds (or more) as a reward. 

Taking a break
I think it's fine line between not pushing hard enough but also not being greedy (especially when she's being good). Sometimes I have to remind myself that she's still only a three year old, and she's usually quite a good three year old...I've had older horses who were much harder than she is, so I think I'll cut us some slack when things are going quite as well as I would like. It was awesome to have a fun ride tonight and now she will have the next couple of days to hang out before we go back to work. In the mean time I plan to re-watch my lessons from our boot camp with JW and see what things I've forgotten since then. There is always so much to learn and so much to work on and I'm enjoying the journey. 

This girl puts a smile on my face

9 comments:

  1. I like your plan! I too try to end when things are pretty good and not worry about if it's just been 30 minutes (or less)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adventures with green horses! It is definitely a balancing act. You have to push so that they can learn but you have to be just right about it or you'll end up with a negative result.

    Can't believe how far this little girl has come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is doing so well for a 3-year-old! You are doing such a good job with her training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I say this all the time, but I'm so glad you hvae her and I love reading about the two of you together. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aimee! I appreciate your support and happiness for me. :)

      Delete
  5. I love that saying: "Pick a project, win your project, change the subject" -- I think it's so important not to drill, drill, drill

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!