Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The Right Direction


Progress has less to do with speed and more to do with direction.

Emi and I have been struggling recently. A few hard rides and a tough lesson left me a little down. Then we went to the trail course and had a wonderful time. Since then we have had two good rides. One of those was tonight, when we completed ride #60. I think we are back on track and ready for clinic with JW next weekend!


Besides a change of scenery on Saturday, I started her back on a calming supplement. Between the weather change and the shorter days she just seemed to be on edge. It may be just a coincidence that she's been way more settled since starting the supplement...but either way I'm taking it!


I was reflecting tonight on the progress we have made. Sometimes it feels like we aren't moving very fast, but when I look back I can see how fast it has really gone. She's gone from a brand new foal to knowing how to halter, lead, groom, load, tie, stand for the farrier, bath, clip, pony, lunge, and now ride. Speaking of clipping, I clipped her bridle path a few nights ago and she was the best she has ever been. I did still twitch her but I think we are almost to the point where I can do it with out the twitch. I'd say we are heading in the right direction! 

10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things are feeling better again! And I love that quote about direction over speed

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much progress! And she's still young. You've got plenty of time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...sometimes I just don't feel that way. :)

      Delete
  3. Definitely headed in the right direction. As a side note, pretty much every horse I've started has gone through a phase right around where you're at - they start to think they know the drill, and they start to get confident enough about it that they have opinions about things and want to try out new and interesting solutions to things :) Don't worry, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yes! I think you are right. I want my innocent baby back. :)

      Delete
  4. Ha well I think you guys are amazing! 60 rides and you're doing adventure trail stuff and dressage clinics? I've over here like "uh some days we can trot but not lately". ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly still can't believe how grown up she is - she is so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! It's crazy how fast she's grown up! I can't wait until Luna is ready to go on adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!