Monday, December 12, 2016

Clinic Day #1 - Forward is a must

The first day of our clinic addressed the fact that Emi must go forward. The lesson started out well, she was a little quiet in the trot but behaving nicely. We did a few baby leg yields, which are a new thing. Those went well and then we challenged her on going more forward. We've had this discussion with her before but Friday was the first time we've really put pressure on her. Emi did not like it! She was backed off, even worse than normal, with being in a new place and wasn't interested in being light off the aids. I dislike being aggressive with my whip but when whispering isn't working sometimes you have to shout.

One thing JW challenged me on is that if I use the stick I need to be sure that I get a response. If I spank her, she doesn't responded and I don't follow through, then I'm smacking her for no reason. JW is very very fair to the horse, black and white, which I really appreciate. We had a heck of a time with the canter. She wasn't going! The transition was a struggle and so was going forward at the canter itself.
Someone has opinions about being spanked
The focus of the lesson really was about her being light to the aids and forward with her intent. JW not only wanted Emi marching forward but with her ears and attitude being good. She likened a couple of moments to her being a teenager. "Fine, I'll do it because I don't want to be spanked but I'm not going to be happy about it." Don't get me wrong, we had some lovely moments but overall the lesson was a bit of a struggle with several little discussions about the response I was expecting.


When you are riding alone it's hard to know how much you should be pushing and when it's time to increase the expectations. Now the ball is in my court to stay very consistent with my expectations. I'm feeling re-energized and ready to keep working. 

If you are interested, here's some video from our lesson.

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hear you on when you're riding by yourself it is tricky to know that balance of your expectations and being consistent. I have been struggling with this a little bit recently as my horse is not loving our indoor arena a the barn and has become a bit opinionated about working in there :) We shall both work through it though :) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you too...we are working though it with you! :)

      Delete
  3. Look at that big buck! Pony has hops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This IS the challenge of the laid-back horse! Riding one; have the t-shirt. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha she def didn't appreciate being spanked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still my favorite baby in blog land. :-)

    Ride 'em cowgirl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a super productive clinic! I definitely know the struggle of riding alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man, i feel like i'm dealing with some of the same things with my green bean (tho he is definitely *not* a baby haha). figuring out when and how far to keep pushing is really hard for me when riding solo, and all too often i'll settle for ho hum when really i should be asking for more. just focusing on forward tho has helped immensely in a very short amount of time with my guy - hopefully Emi feels similarly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I settle way too often as well. Ugh. We'll keep working at it.

      Delete
  9. Ohh, lol Emi and Bridget are more alike than I thought! Love the video, well done. Emi is looking more and more grown up all the time:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teenager phase is rough! My guy still gets his panties in a twist when I have to spank him. But if he'd only listen he wouldn't need to be spanked!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!