Monday, December 12, 2016

Clinic Day #2 - Game On

Saturday Emi came out ready to go. She was responsive and forward, really a whole different pony from the first day. This freed us up to work on a few other things besides going. We did our baby leg yields to the wall and then counter position and shift her shoulders in on the circle. I'm amazed at how adjustable she is. I'm not sure if it's because she doesn't know any better, or she hasn't ever learned to be resistant, but other than being clueless about what I want she really is fairly easy to manipulate.

She's just so cute!
The canter work was majorly better in the sense that she was actually moving. It's still disorganized but JW was not concerned and said that she wouldn't be surprised if it stays like that through the winter. One of the exercise she has us do was to pick up the canter in the corner, transition to the trot across the diagonal and then canter again at the corner. It sounds too advanced for where we are at (and in some ways it is) but the point of it was to use her anticipation of understanding the exercise, help us in getting the canter. The transitions did improve and become a little more fluid as we worked on it and it gave us the opportunity to do lots of transitions. We will be adding that exercise to our rides for the foreseeable future!

In the trot work we incorporated some big kid (tighter) changes of directions and they rode so nicely!  I felt like I was actually riding a trained horse! We ended with working on nose to the wall leg yields (for the first time). I've seen a lot of horses have a melt down when learning this but she stayed right with me and did pretty well. It was amazing to feel the improvement in the connection as I walked her out of those. That's another exercise that we are supposed to be incorporating into our rides.


I was thrilled to finish on such a strong note with her and I feel re-engerized to keep chipping away at it. On top of a great lesson I was struck again by what a cool horse Emi is. She is turning in to a traveling pro! We went with a friend on Friday but hauled by ourselves on Saturday. Both times Emi climbed right on to the trailer, hauled quietly, came off the trailer and stood calmly tied while she got tacked up. I haven't been around a ton of 3 year olds but I have been around many horses older than that who were not nearly as easy. Emi gets a gold star. I can hardly believe my little baby has grown up!

One tuckered out pony
And again, video if you are so inclined to watch. I know it's long but I try to give you enough context to know what we are doing and also to see the progression through out the lesson.



18 comments:

  1. I love that she figured out so quickly how to get forward and participate more in the ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job both of you! Emi is progressing so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god. I know I always say this, but I seriously love her. And you with her. You have done an amazing job and she is such a cool horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! It's always nice to hear that other people like your horse. She's awesome more because of who she is than because of what I've done with her.

      Delete
  4. This gives me hope Roscoe will come around. Great to be able to watch and listen. She looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to know all of the right things to do! I'm blessed to have Jessica nearby to help me.

      Delete
  5. Nicely done, you're doing such an excellent job with her! I kind of want to steal your Emi - what a good mind she has, and of course she's absolutely gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you. Emi is awesome but so is your girl!

      Delete
  6. Awesome! You guys are looking great! And I love your matching vest and pony boots :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is already SO grown up. You have done a wonderful job with her so far!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!