Thursday, December 15, 2016

Looking back on 2016

2016 has been a big year for me.

I still had Benny in January and we went on our first overnight trip to JW's for some lessons. I also took Benny's sale video at the end of January.  Roz was not acting right and I was wondering if he may have cushings (he didn't).

The 1/2 arab club on our trip to see JW
Benny was listed for sale in February and the adventures in horse selling began. His initial vet check happened and he was declared "lame." Roz was also seen by the vet and was declared to be in good health aside from a heart murmur.  He received an adjustment and an acupuncture treatment.

March: Upon further veterinary examination Benny was declared sound. One more trip to the vet for radiographs of his feet and he was on his way to his new home in California. Roz had his 24th birthday. Emi moved up to his stall at NDF and we began taking lesson with KB.

Moved in to NDF
Emi's ground training continued in April. We introduced the bit and began lunging her in side reins near the end of the month.



May was an exciting month with Emi's first ride and my lesson on Cardi. Both rides happened the same week and were an amazing experience. Getting to have a lesson on Cardi was the highlight of my riding career. It was my first time ever getting to ride piaffe, passage and pirouettes. Amazing!

First ride!!!
Riding Cardi

So much fun!!!

Emi had her 3rd birthday in June. We continued riding, went on her first official trail ride and bought a dressage saddle.


Emi and I went on three trail rides in July, one of them being her first Poker ride (on her 16th ride). She was awesome...seriously so impressive. She got a new bridle from Flexible Fit Equestrian to match her new dressage saddle.

Poker ride with the best baby
August brought our first unsupervised arena ride (ride #21). We also got to go on a trail ride with Emi's mom (and several other horses). This is the trail ride where Emi rolled in the creek we were trying to cross.  I hauled Emi to a neighboring barn for a lesson in preparation for a schooling show we planned to attend. She was really backed off in the new arena but was otherwise well behaved. August also brought my 4 year cancerversary.

Looking like a big kid
Posing with Emi's mom, Chloe. 
September was a super fun month. Emi attended her first ever dressage show. We competed at Intro A & B with scores 68.75% and a 70%. The scores were very generous but when I watched the video back Emi really did look good. She was very well behaved for her first horse show and it was fun to get out. We also went on her first beach trip. She was super good and we had tons of fun with Tarra and Mystic.

First dressage (and riding) show
This photo was a dream long before it became a reality
We went back to JW's in October, this time with Emi in tow. We had 4 days of great lessons and learning before heading home. At the end of the month we hauled out for a beautiful fall trail ride.



Our biggest November highlight was playing on the Mountain Trail course. I attended with Emi the previous year, when she wasn't yet broke to ride. This year I led her through before hopping on. I was really pleased with how she handled it and that she completed the majority of the obstacles with out needing to follow another horse through. I could tell that she is gaining confidence and I appreciated her willingness to try.


Although December is only half way over it has been a great month. Our rides have been mostly good and we had a fabulous clinic with JW. Looking back to the summer months and when Emi was first started she has come such a long way. She's almost 3.5 and I couldn't ask for more in terms of how her training is progressing. I've tried to be very careful that I don't overdo it with her, and I think putting in 65 rides in just about 8 months has been a nice light schedule for both of us.

22 comments:

  1. Great progress for how few rides that is, truly impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a busy, awesome year! Here's to much more in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome year! Emi looks wonderful. I'm bringing in a colt tomorrow and can only hope that he progresses as well as Emi has!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the adventures! I'm looking forward to seeing where 2017 takes you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a year! Emi is looking so very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It has been an awesome year.

      Delete
  6. What a big year for her, she's developing so well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm very pleased with her progress.

      Delete
  7. Emi is just SUCH a lovely young pony, it's wonderful to be able to 'watch' you bring her along in such a systematic way, giving her confidence in everything you teach her. What a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thank you for your kind words. I'm doing my best!

      Delete
  8. Really enjoy watching her progress! As much as I love my Cob, Fergie, wish I could have bought her as a yearling. She lacks so much in confidence and I see you instilling this in Emi. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The cobs are so personable and it has really been to our benefit that I've had her since she was a baby.

      Delete
  9. When you had Benny feels like so long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've sure had a great year. Emi has come so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An awesome year for you!! Here is to an even better 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe shes only been under saddle such a short time! She looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!