Monday, December 26, 2016

Parting Ways

I kind of parted ways with Emi on Thursday night. You may be wondering how you "kind of" part was. I was mounting with my left foot firmly in the stirrup when Emi spooked from the mounting block. She carried me with her for a few steps until I crashed onto the floor (and the mounting blog that I had tipped over with my right leg. Ouch! I did keep ahold of Emi and got up unharmed (mostly). 



I righted the mounting block and set it so that she was facing the gate into the arena rather than with her rump to it. I mounted with out incident and we went on our way. She was really tense when we started out; going forward but in a rushed sort of way. Although it was counter intuitive I pushed her forward and finally felt her swinging through and relaxing. It was some of our best trot work yet! 

I rode her again on Saturday and she was awesome! We worked on all of our exercises from the JW clinic: leg yields nose to the wall, regular baby leg yields (quarter line to the wall), spiraling in on the circle and practicing cantering confidently forward with lots of transitions across the diagonal. Her work is getting better and better and I'm looking forward to our next clinic. 


7 comments:

  1. Happy you didn't get hurt! I've had a few close calls with mounting blocks lol.
    www.baysoverbaes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate spooks when mounting! Good for you for riding forward and putting her energy to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bummer about the fall but nice work turning it into such a productive ride! My coach has been encouraging me to push my green guy more forward when he feels rushy and running too - yea, counter intuitive but it works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great brain to go back to work after that. :-) I'm having some cob envy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mounting block spooks are the worst! Glad you weren't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you didn't get hurt and you guys are looking amazing! I always think mounting blocks are one of the scariest things to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arg! I am glad you are OK and it wasn't any worse than it could've been!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!