Tuesday, January 3, 2017

2017 Goals

I’ve been thinking about my goals for 2017. In a lot of ways I feel like it’s an “off” year. Last years main goal were to get Benny sold and Emi started…mission accomplished.


This year it’s more about continuing what we started. I’ve considered going to our first ever recognized dressage show (both hers and mine) but I’m not sure if we will do that or not. I’m on her time frame, with no schedule or expectation as to where we should be at; when she’s ready we’ll go. I hope to take her to a few league dressage shows this spring/summer, showing her at intro until we are ready to tackle the canter needed in the training level tests. 


Her ride-ability is improving so much! Just last week I was noticing how much better our steering has gotten. It’s mostly reliable at this point and I can ride her like a big horse, using both inside and outside aids to communicate what I want. Of course the steering is less refined at the canter but that’s alright, it’s where we are at right now and I’m really pleased with the direction she is heading.


All that being said, for the record, here are my goals for Emi:
  1.    Show at intro and transition to training level by the end of the summer (if not sooner). I think 3-4 shows would be perfect. 
  2. Toying with the idea of doing the 4 year old test (if we go to a recognized show). Has anyone ever done this? I’m sure we won’t be competitive against her warmblood counter parts but how many years can we compete in the 4 year old tests? 
  3. Continue to trail ride (at least once a month and hauling out as the weather improves).

5 comments:

  1. I love this list and just wish I had trails like you do. If i did that would be a major goal for me.

    I feel like we're in similar places with showing even though Katai is a little more trained/experienced with riding, Emi is definitely more experienced with trailering out. I really wish someone had done with Katai what you've done with Emi and given her more experience off the farm. It's definitely tougher as they get older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about doing one with Jetta when she was four. It was a bit too much for her baby brain, especially as I started her in her 4 year old year. We did end up doing a materiale class, I also got to do a couple in hand classes at the same show. It was doable for her brain at that age and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda hope you do the 4 year old tests just so I can learn about it vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great goals, she's so young and your partnership is still so fresh but you've come so far and I'm sure will continue to accomplish a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to what her grow up!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!