Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Just Do It

After getting home last night I was really not feeling barn time but knew I needed to work Emi since she'll have the next 2 nights off. After getting out to the barn I began tacking her up and decided that I'd just lunge her in side reins. On second thought, I decided to put my half chaps and helmet on, just in case I wanted to ride. 

Wouldn't you know she was nice and quiet on the lunge line, something she hasn't been lately. After a short lunge I hopped on. We had a solid ride. She was spooky and a little bit unsettled but we worked it out. I rode her forward and she didn't do anything dumb. I'd call that a win! 


When we moved on to the canter she kept trotting faster with no canter in sight. I slowed her and asked again. When I didn't receive the correct response she got a light swat, to which she took offense and decided to buck. Another swat, another little buck, but we finally found the canter. We practiced several canter transitions, crossing the diagonal like we did at the clinic. After some good effort from her at the canter I brought her to a halt and hopped off. Our ride just re-confirmed that I never regret choosing to do something with my horse. Sometimes you just have to get out there and do it.

"That was hard"
Snow again...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great winter ride. Gotta love sensible pony mare days :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!