Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Oopsie

Since Roz is currently at NDF (the stable Emi lives at) I’ve ridden him a couple of times recently. Sunday afternoon I rode him a little bit in the arena and then took him on a trail walk around the neighborhood. Our ride was very nice. He feels decent trotting under saddle, and he’s always loved going out on the trails so that’s fun. He marches along with his ears up, happy to be exploring the world.

When we returned to the barn I thought I’d give him a quick tail wash as his tail is pretty muddy. I took him in to the wash rack and tripped on the curb on the way in, almost falling flat on his face. I turned around to look at him and he had his neck twisted and his mouth open. I knew he was hurt I just wasn’t sure where. My friend April came over and said he’s bleeding. Sure enough there was quite a bit of blood coming from his mouth, his lip specifically.


The poor old guy used his face as landing gear and had two chunks of skin hanging from his lip. With some sedative and lidocaine on board we were able to snip the pieces of skin off and he was good to go. Now my fingers are crossed that it heals well.

9 comments:

  1. Aww buddy that's awful!! I had a horse do a similar style face plant on a jump once, but not nearly such a nasty chunk of skin gone :( she healed fine tho so hopefully Roz will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor guy! Tony's ripped his lips up several times...they didn't heal pretty, but they healed! I just cleaned it a couple of times a day and made sure his water bucket was clean. Pretty much all you can do...can't very well bandage that area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor baby! I hope that he can manage to eat all right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw man that looks like it hurt! Poor Roz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Rozzy Ridge! Hope it heals well and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Youch! Hopefully he heals up without issue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eek! I saw the IG of this, but not the whole story. I hope he heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!