Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Winter Weather

We've been getting a lot of snow....which is not much for many of you. Normally we are "lucky" to see snow once in a winter but we've seen it 3 times and they are forecasting for more. Not only that, but last week we had very cold temperatures (for us). Normally the low 20's is quite low for us and we were at 10 degrees the coldest night of last week! Since Emi's impaction colic during cold weather a couple years ago I always feel a bit paranoid when the temperature drops.

On top of that, the winter weather advisory for snow/freezing rain caused our JW clinic to get cancelled for the weekend. I had been riding very diligently, working on our "homework" but then the nasty weather hit last week and I was sick with a cold. Emi ended up with the week off (after a Monday ride) and we are still trying to get back in to the swing of things (side note: canceling the clinic was totally the right call, the roads were very bad).

Horses were inside over the weekend and Saturday morning Emi was worked up! I took her over to the arena for a little play time and she galloped around for a little while. She has started cross firing (when cantering around loose). She has always done that occasionally but she was doing it A LOT on Saturday. I think she's growing as her butt seems to be taller so I think she may just be out of balance. She appears to be sound and was just recently seen by the chiropractor so I don't think there's anything else going on (I also lunged her last night and she didn't crossfire at all).


Saturday afternoon I decided to ride Roz around the neighborhood, quickly deciding that I should take Emi along. I wasn't sure how easy it would be but both horses were great. Emi's morning play time in the arena had settled her down and Roz is always game for a hack around the farm.


That's about all that is going on around here...I'm counting down the days until spring! 

Love these two!

6 comments:

  1. You guys definitely got a little more snow than we did up here! We got all of the freezing and ice and very little of the pretty snow to ride in. Re: the crossfiring, both of my girls did that when they were growing a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm counting down the days till spring too! I'm done with this weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice that the old man is getting used, and helping with the baby, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This winter is blowing my mind a little bit. We're record setting bad weather with no end in sight. Weird. Glad you're still having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's looking so cute! I wish I'd had a more steady horse to pony Katai with when I was starting her. We're getting a crazy winter here as well, I can't wait for it to be over and we've got at least 3-4 months left haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather is so strange this winter! It sounds like you are experiencing Chicago weather, meanwhile here in the OC we are experiencing Pacific Northwest weather! The radishes and carrots I planted a couple months ago are loving the rain and will be ready to harvest soon!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!