Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Goldilocks

One of my recent complaints is that I wish Emi would come out hot at one of our clinic rides. She's generally more lazy than she normally is at home. Not only do I need more horse for my lessons but it also makes it hard to get the right tools for riding that particular problem. This last week we've had all three ponies, lazy, hot and just right. 

Lazy: Since I'm adding Friday as a riding day I've decided to make it "Fun Friday" and pull out poles to keep things interesting for us. This past Friday was our first Fun Friday and Emi was so lazy making it so much work for me. She was fabulous about the poles but in general was very slow/dull. Lazy is one of my least favorite ways to have her as I hate having to be on her case every moment.


Hot: Sunday when I rode she was crazy tense. Probably the worst I've ever ridden her through. The day had been stormy but the weather wasn't bad when I was riding her. She was really spooky and tight. On those kind of days she's usually also fairly hot and quick off my leg. In between spooks we actually had some pretty nice work as I was riding her very strongly and insisting that she work. We are still on the struggle bus for bringing her shoulders around when tracking right. She was blowing through my outside aids and falling out in a big way at one point on the circle. I changed to tracking left (falling left) to feel that again and it was easy. Back to tracking right (falling right), it was really a no go. I finally brought her back down to the walk and reinforced my aids at the walk. After an hour of riding I called it a day as I didn't think I was going to gain anything by continuing on. 



Just Right: I wasn't feeling super motivated to ride this evening but figured that I better just go out and get it done. Sure enough, Emi was a super star. Not too lazy, not too hot...just right. I opted to check in with her on the lunge line prior to hopping on (see Sunday's ride). Of course she lunged like an old school horse so less than 10 minutes in I was climbing aboard. She tried to be a little looky but overall was attentive and prompt to my aids. The connection was lovely tonight and the canter really is beginning to make progress. The transition is becoming slightly reliable and tracking left I'm gaining the ability to influence her. That's been really fun! Our shoulders falling in when tracking right was much better tonight. As warm up we did counter bend, shoulders coming around at the walk, in both directions. At the trot I finally felt like I had Emi coming off my outside aids when tracking right. I'm hoping she is finally understanding what I'm looking for. She got lots of praise tonight and a few extra breaks when she gave me the right answer. Good ponies don't have to work super hard so 30 minutes in she was done. I'm glad I chose to ride, even if I wasn't feeling it before I got out there. I'm reminded that "action precedes inspiration." 

10 comments:

  1. My horse never comes out hot for lessons either and so my trainers never really see that side of him. Definitely makes it more challenging to figure out how to work with him in those moods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's the most adorable Goldilocks ever.
    My horse comes out hot for lessons far too often. I long for the days when we're not trying to contain a ticking bomb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thank you! I think she's adorable too.

      Delete
  3. I also always seem to have a hot pony for clinics but now she's coming out more calm for lessons. At this point my instructor is getting a better picture of the different ways she goes with me which I agree is really helpful. I do have to agree that I dislike her lazy days the most and I've been getting quite a few of them lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is really coming into herself! I feel like sometimes just shutting down the ride when you aren't getting the answer you want and the horse is just getting frustrated is best - sounds like you know Emi quite well and were able to manage her appropriately when she got hot for you.

    As a sidenote, I just wanted to let you know I have changed my blog name, so it may not show up in your reader list anymore. The new url is www dot twoandahalfhorses dot blogspot dot com. You may have to re-enter it into your reader list to follow again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, raising her from a baby definitely helps with the knowing her well. Also, thanks for the heads up your blog. I'll get the new address added.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!