Thursday, February 23, 2017

Stages of Learning

One thing that's very interesting about riding a young horse is that they tend to change and develop so rapidly. With some of the new tools we have she's actually gotten a little harder to ride. Now that she's learning to move her haunches and shoulders around she's more wiggly and requires quite a bit more input from me to keep all of her parts int he right spot. She was tense when we started this evening which just exacerbated this. She was anticipating what I might ask and throwing all of her tricks my way. It wasn't at all naughty, just a little overachieving.

On the flip side, having new tools has made her way more fun to ride. I'm getting more precise control and able to give her more input than ever before. This is becoming especially true at the canter. In the last couple of weeks the canter has started to develop enough for me to influence it. I'm feeling really good about finally seeing some progress there. It seems like it's been a long time coming although I know it really hasn't been that bad.

6 comments:

  1. Young horses are interesting. Like you said, things change so rabidly that you have to be on your game. But interesting is good. Sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love young horses even if they can be so frustrating sometimes! At some point I hope to have another one and I know I'm going to go into that with so many more skills :) Glad to hear that things are going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so exciting tho! I relate too - for the first time earlier this month I felt like I could actually *do something* with the canter so fun!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!