Sunday, March 19, 2017

TRC Spring Schooling Show

Bright and early this morning (5:45am) Emi and I pulled out of NDF and headed to a schooling show about and hour and a half from us. The show was held at a lovely farm...but it doesn't have a warm up arena. It was scheduled in such a way that there was a break every 5 riders and there was extra time in between rides, but not quite ideal for a young horse. Due to limited warm up time I wanted to arrive extra early to give Emi a chance to scope out the arena. I realized on my drive down that she hadn't ever seen a dressage court either. Oh boy! She was a little skeptical about the whole thing but settled in fairly quickly. Once she had a chance to look around and had relaxed, I put her in her stall.

Super pretty arena with lovely footing
I spent some time grooming her and she was happily eating hay until two of her stablemates showed up. They were screaming away and she joined right in. I struggled to get her saddled with her flipping out in her stall. Hmm...I wasn't sure how that was going to end up. Once I got her saddled, bridled and out of her stall she was fine.

We had 10 or 15 minutes to warm up in the arena. When tests started back up they had made the arena a short court and were allowing people to ride in the open space at the end of the arena. Emi was being pokey so I took the opportunity to school "forward." I'm finding that it's pretty typical for her to be slow in a new place. I think she's trying to take it all in and can't possibly GO when she's looking around. It wasn't long before it was our turn to go.

We put in a solid test. Emi was forward enough and besides a few bobbles here and there it was nice and smooth. We got a 7.5 on our free walk and an 8 on our halt for a total score of 66.56% and first place. We also won a lung line.


Her next test was about an hour away so I put her back in her stall but left her saddle on. The time passed quickly and soon I was putting her bridle back on and mounting up. I'm pretty sure she thought she should be done at this point and she had a bit of a snotty attitude. I schooled her some and in we went. This test was not as smooth or easy as the first one. I was struggling to keep her purposely forward which in turn made the whole test harder. Since this was a schooling show and we were the last ride before the next break I was able to keep her in the arena after our test. We schooled 5 or 10 more minutes, communicating that she must go forward with a good attitude. After some better work we called it a day. Final score for her second test was 61.25% with a 7 for her free walk and a 7 for one trot transition.


There's more polishing to do but the pieces are coming together. I'm really pleased with how well Emi handled a new arena and fairly busy show experience. She's going to be an old pro in no time! We have two more weeks to work and then we are heading to a local league show. Also, the organizer of today's show let me know they were having another one April 30th to which I replied "I'll be at Rolex." Yah!

21 comments:

  1. Well done, both of you! I may have to check out the show on April 30 for my student and myself; good to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was well done and very casual.

      Delete
  2. Well done! I love the trotting picture- you look very harmonious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it was a good experience! Congrats on the scores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo congrats on a fantastic start to the season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a little athlete! Good pony!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! Much better scores than my show with my baby this weekend, haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. That's okay...they all start somewhere.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! Emi is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's growing up nicely.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a really great experience!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!