Monday, April 3, 2017

It's Hard to be Three - Day 1

If you follow me on Instagram you've seen me use the hashtag "it's hard to be three." Emi definitely thought that was the case this weekend. We went to our third show, which was a league show called the Adult Team Show. As the name implies, it's a show for adults only and is run as a team competition. Teams are made up of 3 or 4, divided into divisions and off you go.

Emi and I had a team ride and an open class ride on the schedule for Saturday morning. She warmed up fine and accepted a fairly busy warm up arena with out any trouble. The competition is held at our State Fairgrounds and it has a pretty cool old arena that is used for showing. I love the character of the arena but it can be a bit of an intimidating location as the arena is very enclosed and isolated feeling. Emi walked in for her open ride (Into B) and the horse in front of us walked out...Emi was not thrilled with this situation. Although our test was marked with tension she remained rideable and settled more as the test continued. You'll see in the video that she really stalled out and was looking in the walk portion of the test. That end of the court was lined up perfectly with the doors leading out of the arena and she was able to catch a glimpse of the horses outside in the warm up arena. Not only did her looking affect the medium walk but also our free walk across the diagonal, which is normally a good move for her.


After that test we had about 30 minutes before our ride for our team competition, which was Intro A. I gave her a break before trotting around a bit more and heading in for our next test. She was more rideable and less anxious, and I came out feeling better about our efforts than with the first test.



After getting Emi put away I was changing when a friend found me to tell me that my test, ribbon and prize were all back at my stall. What!? Emi had won her open ride class with a 63.438%. Our prize was a glass thermos with "Oregon Dressage Society" on it. Cool! Further remarks: "Cute horse and pair. Connection into hand needs development - try to maintain steady activity in walk."


It wasn't too long after that, that results came out for Intro A. We won that class also with a 72.500%. We got a 6.5 on submission but everything else was a 7 or 8 with one 8.5 for her final halt. Further remarks were "well ridden, lovely moments, try to steady connection into hand (half halt).

15 comments:

  1. Congrats on a fantastic show!! I wish we had a team competition like that; it sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh she's such a lovely baby !! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so quiet and patient with her when she's having baby moments. It's nice to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's such a nice compliment!

      Delete
  4. Gosh, she is growing up SO FAST!! I can hardly believe she's already showing under saddle. Seems like just yesterday you brought her home!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always giggle when I get comments on connection for an intro test. Like. Hello? It's intro. I mean, it's good info for the future and there really isn't that much they can say about two trot circles and some walking, but it still makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I agree. And it's why we are showing intro! But, that's also why we got a 72.5% on a lackluster test. Haha.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Congratulations :) Sounds like a great experience for her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on such a good show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a big scary arena - she did great! Good riding and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!