Wednesday, May 17, 2017

First Year Under Saddle

Today marks the anniversary of my 1st ride on Emi and I have to brag on her a little bit (or maybe a lot). I can't believe that a year has already gone by. In some ways it feels like just yesterday that I got on her and in other ways I feel like I've been riding her forever. I quit keeping track at 100 rides but I suspect I'm getting close to 150 rides in the first year. I'm super pleased with how easy she has been. I kept waiting for the wheels to fall off the bus...but it never really happened.
Our first ride
Poke ride in July - ride #16
Schooling show in September - ride #32
Two days after the schooling show, our first beach ride - #33
We had a couple of months this winter that were not as easy, I'd say November/December/January. She was spooky and not settled and I was a little nervous/hesitant. The spookiness related to one whole end of the arena, to the point where I couldn't even ride her down there. Some days were better, some were worse. Another struggle area was how lazy she wanted to be and when pushed she was down right unresponsive to your aids.

As the months have gone by all of the above behavior has gotten better and better. I actually think I might have her a little bit too quick at this point. I've realized over the last month or so that she's learning a better response to the whip and is much less likely to buck at it or act snarky. The canter transition is still a work in progress but I feel like she really does everything a coming 4 year old should do. We can walk, trot, canter with no fan fair. She leg yields down the wall or on a circle (at the walk) with ease and is working on it at the trot. I've been spending a lot of time on having control of her shoulders and that's coming along pretty well. As noted above, forward has been installed quite well at this point and she's pretty speedy and prompt off my leg. She travels well, is good on trails (as long as she doesn't have to lead) and is generally a very good citizen. 

So there it is, a quick summary of my first year on the very first horse I've ever started. It's been so much fun and I'm excited to see where the next year takes us. 
Lessons at JW's - #43
More trail riding - #49
Mountain Trail in November - #58

Snotty pony dislikes being spanked - #62 
Heading in to spring and growing in to a beautiful mare. 
March schooling show
May league show
So grown up 

5 comments:

  1. Starting young horses can be so rewarding! You've done a fantastic job with Emi 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels like it went so fast for ME, I can't imagine how it feels for you! Congratulations on a great first year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done such an amazing job with her! she is just such a good citizen and such a cool looking pony :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two make a great team. May it last for decades!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!