Thursday, May 18, 2017

May 10

Questions taken from The Horse is Not Black.

1) What are your summer goals?

Wow, this one is a loaded question this summer and I'll break it down by Emi and the farm.

Emi
  • Take monthly lessons
  • Successfully show training level
  • Trail ride at least once a month
  • "Cross country" schooling - basically this will be going in the water, popping over some tiny logs and doing banks & ditches. 
  • Ride at Perrydale Trails - we've gone twice but both times were before she was under saddle
  • Go to the beach!
Perrydale Trails with baby Emi
Farm/General
  • Get the outdoor arena put in, fenced and lights figured out. 
  • Paddock
    • Gravel for mud control
    • Get the horses entry into the barn 
  • Fence the side of the pasture that is currently open to the slough
2) Do you have any tips or tricks for fly control?

Repel-x lotion...that's it. It's magical and I use it for both horses on their belly. I also use fly masks and sometimes natural fly spray (Eco-vet or Smartpak brand) although I don't think fly spray works all that well. 

3) How often do you bathe your horse? 

I hose them down when they are sweaty but normally only bathe before a show or something like that. Roughly once a month. I will give Roz a bath or two during the summer, just because. 

4) Do you have any upcoming travel plans? Equine related or not?

As you all know, I just got back from attending Rolex. Besides that, I've got one camping trip to the Steens Mountain this summer but will otherwise be home (working on the projects listed above). 

5) What is your favorite way to beat the heat? 

Honestly, it doesn't normally get that hot here so I don't have a favorite way. 

6) Do you do anything to keep your horse from sun bleaching? 

No 

7) How hot is too hot for you to ride? 

Again, it doesn't get that hot here. We might have a week or less of 100 degree temps. My riding temperature depends on if I have a show coming up. I'd say 90-95 would be my cut off. 

8) How important is sun protection to you riding or just in general? 

Being of Irish heritage and being very pale, sun protection is important to me. I generally wear sun shirts which work nicely. My favorite ones are my under armor shirts. They are super thin and don't make me too hot. 

Stylin' in my sun shirt. 
9) Have you ever gone swimming with your horse? 

Not intentionally. I once had a scary beach experience where my horse was heading out into the ocean...but actually swimming, no. I do think it would be fun but I'm not sure where I could do it around here. 

10) And because shopping is always on my mind, whats on your summer wish list? 

A new trailer floor and new billets for my saddle. Practical for sure! 


SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

1 comment:

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!