Monday, June 5, 2017

Buying a Baby

As I was coming home from Perrydale Trails, I was thinking about the things that I have enjoyed about my experience with Emi. I think a lot of people consider buying a baby or breeding their own so I thought I'd share my thoughts with you.


I put a down payment on Emi when she was 3 days old and in a lot of ways it was daunting to think of all of the things she would need to learn in the coming years. Haltering, leading, tying, loading, hauling, having her feet handled, clipping and so many other "first". At the same time, the first 3 years were very low pressure. We spent a lot of time hanging out...trying not to take it too fast. Have there been frustrating days? Have there been some bumps in the road? Yes.

Bump #1 - Impaction colic. Poor baby. 
Things I have loved about bringing Emi up from a baby:

The fact that she's not quite 4 and we already have "history" together.


I trust her. I love that part of a relationship with a horses and I love all of the hours I've spent with her.


The fact that I've been able to take her so many places in hand and I have a very good sense of what her reaction will be to things. I know her well and she knows me well.


I know what she knows! There aren't those surprises where you realize something you assumed they know...they didn't.  I also know her flaws. There are two things that come to mind as "quirks." She won't back out of a step up trailer. As in, will not. It stresses her out (there's no ground down there) and it wasn't worth the struggle. She's small enough and quite polite in the trailer so we just turn around. The second has been clipping. It's coming along but I do still have to twitch her to clip her bridle path.


I was very fortunate to get a horse with a good brain and I'd like to think that's due to her breeding. I had followed Cardi and his offspring for quite some time before I got Emi. Would I do it again? Yes! Did I "save" money? No, I'm sure I didn't. Am I happy with where we have ended up? Yes.

14 comments:

  1. I think the only way it can feel like a save is the fact that often times you buy quality you (general) wouldn't be able to afford once undersaddle. That's how I felt with Luna. To get a mare bred the way she is undersaddle I would have easily had to spend double what I paid for her. I will end up spending that money in training and developing her but it will be spread out.

    I have loved watching Emi develop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with you regarding quality. But if I had actually saved for the past 4 years I probably could have bought Emi where she's at now...but obviously wouldn't have the same relationship with her.

      Delete
  2. It's been so amazing watching Emi grow (and the two of you blossom together) on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your journey with Emi so far and have been super impressed (and also learned quite a bit from following along) with your methodical and purposeful approach to her education. can't wait to see how things keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm glad you have enjoyed following along.

      Delete
  4. I love this too and also really have enjoyed my journey with my baby horse. I would totally do it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I didn't buy my baby, I bred her, I can relate to a ton of these! (Although Emi is much farther along in her training at a younger age than Cinna haha). It's definitely a unique experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, breeding your own would be starting at a very similar place. They all develop at their own speed.

      Delete
  6. While buying a baby horse isn't something I think I'll ever do, it's been a TON of fun following along on your journey with Emi!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Thanks for following along. It's been a great ride!

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!