Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Grounded

My trailer is currently floor-less...and the truck is getting a new transmission. This leaves Emi and I grounded.


Since I'm not able to haul out I figured I might as well start working Emi at home. The weather was overcast and a little damp today and I wasn't feeling super motivated. I mentally geared up for Emi to be fussy and unsettled, expecting Roz to be hollering for her. With my patience in hand, I headed out with her rope halter. I tied her to the trailer and she quietly munched hay while I got her groomed. No hollering so far. I tiptoed away from the barn with her (as much as you can tiptoe with a horse), expecting Roz to start up at any moment. 

Master of the side eye. 
As it turned out his donkey and pile of hay were enough to keep him occupied while I had Emi gone. He never made a peep and she didn't either. Major score! Once we got over to the arena I put Emi out on the lunge line with a quick tap on her butt to convince her that stopping for a snack wasn't allowed. She was a little bit animated but didn't put a foot wrong. She confidently navigated the slightly uneven terrain and was listening nicely. When we finished our quick lunge I led her around the edge of the mowed field. It's nice hilly terrain and I'm hoping to do a little bit of condition by riding around the property. 


I was totally thrilled with how well this first outing went. It was wonderful to have Emi be good and so nice that Roz wasn't screaming for her. I've kept them separated in the paddock for the past week and I think that's helping us when I take Emi out. They still share a fence line but apparently sharing a fence line and sharing a paddock are quite different and makes for less attachment. Whatever it is, I'll take it! 

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome first work! I think one of the hardest things about keeping horses at home is dealing with some herdboundness (if that's a word?) which is kind of inevitable if you have 2 or 3 at home. But sounds like keeping them in separate paddocks is working, and you got some productive work! She looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to find out that she can be awesome in the field like that. What a great pony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Such a great first work at your new place. I'm still dreaming of the time when I can buy my own piece of property and move Katai there so it's been fun reading about how your horses are handling the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! Glad your trailer is getting made over and that the first lunge well well!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!