Thursday, June 8, 2017

She's Home

This post could have had many titles. New Routines, It's Hard to be Three, Growing Pains, McFarm Life or Is Our Arena Done Yet? But first let me back up.



I moved Emi home last week Wednesday. It's so nice to see her out my kitchen window each day. She is getting along well with both Roz and Liam, which I expected since she's been turned out with both of them before. As always, adding a new member to the herd brings new dynamics and new challenges. One of those challenges is that I currently have 1 large paddock and no real way to separate everyone. Feeding time requires a lot of babysitting on my part. Liam gets tied and I stand with Emi until Roz finishes his grain...yes, it's a pain.

Yes, that's Roz's back you are barely seeing above the grass, and he's standing up
Stylin' in her new greenguard grazing muzzle
On the riding front, until my arena is completed I am hauling Emi back out to NDF to ride.


So far I've hauled her out three times (Saturday, Tuesday & Wednesday). If we have to haul out I'm glad it's to somewhere familiar to her.  I've lunged her for under 10 minutes each day as she has been amped up coming off the trailer. She isn't very thrilled with the trip to the barn (after leaving Roz) and was especially difficult on Tuesday. Wednesday I had a bit of a new game plan which included feeding her a small amount of grain on the way to the barn. Leaving the farm seemed a little better but when we got to NDF she and another mare were calling back and forth. This continued into the arena which is unusual. This led me to think that she might be in heat....We returned home around 8:15pm and Roz was running the fence line screaming for Emi. That was a little more dramatic than what he had been doing the other two days so I thought my "in heat" idea might be true. 

I left them in the pasture for a while and I got their feed set up for the evening before returning to bring them in. Once they finished with their grain Roz went over to Emi and flirted with her for a minute before mounting her in full on stallion mode. Umm....seriously? My gelding is not supposed to be doing that! So that led to a late night makeshift fencing project to be able to separate them. They are currently still separated and I'm pondering how to handle this. I'm pretty sure she was coming out of heat when I moved her home which was barely a week ago. Does anyone else have a gelding who thinks he's a stallion?  

11 comments:

  1. Rick says giving Roz Regumate might work. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your grass is tall. I have heard of geldings mounting mares. I'm happy that it doesn't occur to Irish at all. I can only think that separating them until it all calms down would work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah separating them until things calm down is probably a good idea. All kinds of problems can happen from geldings mounting mares :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeaaaaah I've not had good luck with mixing geldings and mares. My mare would get the gelding to mount her and then be unrideable because her back her. My gelding most definitely thinks he's a stallion and that would just not be a good situation for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mikey was very studdish around mares (from what I've found online, he actually has a foal on the ground)- he wouldn't mount them, but he'd "guard" them from other horses. After he beat up the barn manager's horse and had glazed over stallion face when I pulled him from the field, I forced my barn manager to shuffle horses so he would be in a herd of all geldings. Never had a problem after that. I won't let my geldings get turned out with mares anymore. I get that's not really an option for you though.
    I would try regumate for Roz, and maybe Mare Magic (aka Raspberry leaves- you can get a ton of organic ones on Amazon for cheap) for both? Geldings react well to it, and it makes heat cycles easier on mares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or regumate for Emi- it should lessen her heat and he shouldn't react at all.

      Delete
  6. We tried to put Midge in with the boys this past winter. It didn't work...I ended up with three trashed blankets, and one of the gelding owners ended up dealing with an aggressive wannabe stallion. Midge is the least flirty mare in the barn, so the geldings remain alone. That being said, I know plenty of people with small herds that make it work, so maybe after the new girl novelty has worn off they'll be good paddock buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankfully Spud doesn't care much if the mares are in heat, so no advice there, but glad she is settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um. My gelding has been known to mount mares on occasion. Pretty sure he was gelded a bit late, and definitely knows what's up. He was turned out with a big herd of broodmares at my old barn, and there was no real problem. The one other gelding ruled the roost, though. So that might've had something to do with it.

    If I had a competition mare, I definitely wouldn't want her climbed on by another horse though! And I didn't want my arthritic gelding getting kicked or injured either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister's gelding when we were kids would mount mares and we found out later he'd been gelded pretty late. He wasn't bad though, maybe once per year during a strong heat cycle he'd be attracted to one of our mares but pretty much he left them alone. He'd also mount and then sort of just go back to the ground like he forgot part way through what he was doing haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a gelding one summer at camp ( I ran a riding program for years) that did that. It was very frustrating. He might have been gelded late or maybe still had something left in there. I never knew. We just let him do it. The mates would stop him if they felt like it and if not, didn't effect me. It was easier than trying to separate them.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!